Service Bulletins and collected forum posts and more

Would it be a fair assumption that pages L31 through L51 were added to later printings of the Service Manual, and so people with earlier printings would not be aware of the existence these pages?

My Manual has these extra plates, along with the accompanying text pages.

Mike B;
Hey, good to hear from you!! It’s been a-while!!
Yes, I have the SM L-49 Page, a 120 Parts Catalogue page and “another image” from Urs Vol 1… the SM (and Rob R. in his post) shows the brake shoes with three holes at one end, two on the other… Another image showed Brake Shoes like Nick posted (below your J-L post) with TWO Holes on each end. PLUS I found two other images that showed two different “attachment points” of the springs (these images I cannot, for whatever reason, find now!!) Confusion Reigns!! (my “standard” state, these days!!) So, in an effort to “Get Technical”, I simply measured the “hole-to-hole” distance on the two variations of connecting points… One was “about” 7.5", the other was 6.75"… or so (rough figures… allow latitude for dead brain cells!!) I’ve opted to simply use the “longest” eye-to-eye spring distance… My thinking is this will add some “Return Spring Tension” with the ultimate goal of having a brake system without any excuse to allow the brakes to NOT return… For ANY reason!!
Charles Ch #677556.

Lee;
I believe Rob R. is “poking fun” at me… all in good humor, of course… That said, it never hurts to “politely” tell someone to “pull their head out” (one picks his own required/needed orifice!!) ;-}
Charles Ch #677556.

Charles,

The plates in my manual show the spring locations as thus:

Regards,

Matt

Clausager’s book XK120 in Detail says the Service Bulletins are available on CD as pdfs from JDHT, as are the Service Manuals and Spare Parts Catalogues.

Not the case here in the UK… a very limited selection of material available:

https://shop.jaguarheritage.com/collections/technical-publications

My understanding is that these used to be available but were very limited in terms of their functionality. There was not an “all in one place” database covering the Service and Spare Parts Bulletins across the years with modern day search and filtering facilities … hence me building one to catalogue my collection here.

Hello Rob, Hello Phil,
maybe Clausanger refers in his book to a DVD with the “JTP1002 Original Technical Publications”. Some years ago I bought it here:

https://store.otpubs.com/copy-of-jaguar-saloons-ss-and-jaguar-saloons-1936-to-1961/

The name of the link is somewhat misleading. But in my browser it shows the correct DVD JTP1002 for the XK’s. Amongst others this DVD contains a document with more than 200 pages with Sevice Bulletins for the XK120.
Regards Joerg

Hi Joerg

That does look like the one I was referring to. If it is the same, I’ve read a number of issues where people have attempted to migrate it onto a replacement PC from the original “license” (or even attempt to have it on a laptop for use in their garage and on a desktop in their house) and have run into problems. Also, are the bulletins in pure black and white and heavily watermarked when you go and open them?

Regards, Phil

Hi Nick,
You and many others may be aware of this but I thought I would mention that Terry’s Jaguar Parts website has a lotta Jaguar Service Bulletins downloaded and available to view. They specify they are from 1961-1964, but a few clicks the 120 link shows bulletins from the early 50’s as well. I have no idea of the completeness of their offering but thought it worthy of note.

The Bulletins cover all three series E Type, MK II, XJRS, XJS, and 120. They are not presented in a sequential or dated list, but are presented by car feature (body, brakes, carbs and fuel, etc.)

Tom Brady

Hi Phil,
what you say is true. The licence handling is really awkward. But meanwhile it is at least possible to print the documents on a physical printer. The bulletins are in pure black and watermarked but their readability is ok. Also the search function works, search terms are mostly found. As I need the documents during the restoration of my XK120, good look is not an issue for me. To my understanding the documents were provided by Jaguar Heritage so I thought that their sources should be the best available quality.
Regards, Joerg

I still have my set, Charles, and refer to it when working in the garage and also just for the historical reading.

Hi Nick,
I would surely like to have a full set of XK-120 and MK 7-9 TSB’s, please let me know how to obtain.

Best regards,
Tom Brady

For Tom…and others interested, I do not have the set scanned so is only in print. Please use the message feature to contact me about the service bulletins…thanks Nick

Just to say that the latest version (V4) of the Bulletin Database was released over the weekend and is now available on the Technical Section of the E-Type forum. It can also be accessed via the link below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/buqiojb62zmsa5n/Bulletin%20Database%20V4.xlsx?dl=1

This release incorporates the 1946 to 1959 Jaguar Service Bulletin Series which, at this point, has an 88% coverage (limited to the bulletins I currently have in my possession). As well as covering some of the earlier saloons, this series covers the XK120, 140 and 150 models. The summary sheet incorporates this latest data and a Model Chart has been introduced for reference too.

Just to highlight that a further (substantial) version update (V5) of the Spares and Bulletin database (including the USA Technical Bulletin range from 1969 to 1975) is now available to download. Full details are available on the E-Type Jag Lovers section:

https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/bulletin-database-usa-technical-service-bulletins-1969-1975-now-added-plus-other-ranges/411013/2

I now have the XK120 140 150 Factory Service Bulletin set scanned and in a pdf. Has all the numbers in the range, all the pages…and 2 types of indexes. Send me a message with your email address. Nick

I’ve still got my Service Bulletins too, Charles and used them several times over the years to help complete the work on my 120. Thanks again. Good to hear from you.

I’ve now got about 6,000 miles on that rebuild and have enjoyed it very much. So I’d advise you to get to work on that DHC so you can experience that pleasure as well.

With the restoration “finished” I’ve spent the past several years on smaller jobs like replacing the fuel level sensor and adding a coolant recovery tank. And I’m about to take on the windshield wipers-slip-on-the-shafts problem which I never did fix in all the time I’ve owned the car (which now totals 64 years).

Regards,
Bruce Wright #674699

Bruce Wright wrote:
I’ve still got my Service Bulletins too, Charles and used them several times over the years to help complete the work on my 120. Thanks again. Good to hear from you.

I’ve now got about 6,000 miles on that rebuild and have enjoyed it very much. So I’d advise you to get to work on that DHC so you can experience that pleasure as well.

Bruce W;
Good to hear from you. I am glad to hear you are enjoying driving your completed XK120… Glad I was able to share my limited knowledge and information that assisted you in your work.
Alas, I have nothing but bad news to convey… Old Age and Being Decrepit have not only caught-up with me, but stomped the crap outta me on their way past!!!
I guess I am fortunate to have experienced the thrill of driving my 1953 XK120 DHC back in my early years of ownership (circa May 1967-Summer 1975) when I was in my twenties… Some of you may recall that I used my Jaguar DHC to tow my motorcycles to the races ('67-'69) until I turned “Pro” in Dec.1969 for the 1970 season). And some may recall my relating the “adventures” of the “One Hundred Mile-Per-Hour Average” drives I made (Houston to Ft. Worth [300 miles in three hours flat!] and 250 miles from Ft. Worth to Big Spring, Texas. The 150 miles to Abilene took right-at ninety minutes but I “put the hammer down” for the final 100 mile distance from Abilene to Big Spring, cutting that distance in a bit over fifty-five minutes!! ALL “Ticket Free”, I might add!! (I was a LOT younger, then!! AND I-20 was a LOT less traveled!)
At this point in my life, my once beautiful XK120 DropHead Coupe sits static… The “mostly” completed Rolling Chassis, completely rebuilt engine, gearbox and differential (ALL assembled with NOS parts) all sit a-top four jack-stands on my Four Post Lift. The five steel rims need to be sandblasted and painted… I have a set of 600x16’s (bias ply tyres and tubes), still wrapped in plastic awaiting fitting to those rims… The unfinished DHC body is still mounted to the rotisserie I built for it… It “lives” in the back corner of my shop… also a number of boxes of original and NOS parts “live” in my “Parts Building”, destined to stay for the rest of my life… The BAS Interior Kit, WITH Real Connolly Leather, as well as the Complete Interior Wood Kit (UK Made) are still in their original shipping cartons… never see the light of day!! Not to mention the dozen or so, Five Liter Tins of “real” Castrol 20w50 still in their shipping cartons. I guess all I can say is…
It was fun while it lasted!!
Charles Ch #677556.

Sounds like you’re in a bad stretch, old boy. I get that.

Just getting back to my XK120 project myself. I’m a little ahead of you but not much. I got the body off the rotisserie and back on the frame a year and a half ago then pretty much walked away. Done very little on it since, I bought this car complete but partially disassembled 30 years ago. Still not on the road. This winter is do or don’t. I’m not at don’t yet.

Shake it off. Do something every day, even if it’s a small job. Some days you’ll push yourself a bit too much. That’s ok. Make a plan to get that body back on the frame. Get some help doing it.

Today’s project was shooting the rear license plate bracket. It took me five easy days to do the repairs and paint prep. Tomorrow I’ll colour sand and polish.

Building up mojo to tackle the wiring job. Then get the brakes working. Then the interior. Then fettling. Lots of fettling.

Get something done, Charles. Good for the psyche.

2 Likes