Service Required dashboard message

Getting into my car this morning, I got a Service Required message appearing on my dash at startup and then disappearing after a few seconds. I’m pretty confident this means I need an oil change. I changed the oil almost exactly a year ago when I first bought the car and have since put about 5500 miles on it. Is this pretty typical? What kind of intervals are you getting between changes? Really, just trying to confirm my experience isn’t out of the norm.

Brett, ours is a 2009 XF SC. We have had it 7 years and I honestly do not remember getting such a message.
We run synthetic and change it about every 12 months. Wish I could offer something constructive, but since yours is 2010 and a R, it could be a slightly different “brain” on yours.

Wife’s car…stays in garage mostly. I drive it for errands at least once a week.
Right now, I have a plethora of lights and warnings. Won 't idle above 1000 rpm, runs rough, have red engine system warning, yellow CATS warning, and yellow park brake system warning. Towing to my indy on Monday. Hoping I don’t have to take it to dealer…will have to hire a transporter for that 180 mile endeavor "-(

Jim, I did some checking after I posted this, both in the owner’s manual and online, and it looks like this warning is the normal indicator for an oil change and an inspection of some other things. Not sure if the system goes by both length of time since the last oil change AND mileage, or just mileage. Either way, I think I’ll change the oil this weekend, reset the system, and see if that fixes it.

Ironically, the owner’s manual states that you should get a mileage countdown indicating how much further you can drive, and then you will get the Service Required warning. However, it also says that you may not get any message at all in which case you should just follow normal service intervals. Its not exactly reassuring that they admit the warning light may not come on at all! The fact that I never got a mileage countdown makes me think that the system takes the length of time since the last oil change into account.

I’m sorry to hear about the woes with your car Jim. Have you hooked up a code scanner to it to see what DTCs it has? Also, I’ve read quite a few stories about owners that got a myriad of warnings and lights suddenly appearing due to their battery. How old is your battery? With all the gizmos these cars have, I think the electrical systems are rather sensitive, and can start causing problems long before it would on a less high tech car. Some people have even gone as far as replacing theirs every two years no matter what.

Hey Brett. Gave some thought to the battery and/ or alternator. Replaced battery 3 years ago. Car starts strongly. But the idle is fouled up. I scanned some codes using my at home El Cheapo tool but clearing them didn’t help. As soon as I restarted the car they reappeared. Will let the shop have a go at it. Will post updates as this evolves.

Good luck with it. Hoping its something simple and it doesn’t need to make a trip to the faraway dealer service department. Keep us posted.

Any update on the car Jim?

Not yet Brett. Throttle Pedal position A sensor part due for installation today.

Hope that fixes it.

Will update the forum once it is all fixed though.

Did everything get sorted out, Jim?

Still in progress Brett.

Oh no! I thought for sure the car was back on the road by now.

Yeah, I wish. It’s the wife’s car and she is less than happy. I need to call the dealer I had it transported to and see if they maybe have started with it.

Well, dealer finally got it into shop and diagnosed it needs new engine control module. The PCM is ordered…guess they don’t want to stock too much!
At any rate, we should get the PCM installed in the next few days and then see where we are

Wow, I wouldn’t have guessed that. I don’t believe its a common failure. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that this fixes the problem and you have your car back soon.

Thanks Brett.

Will post final outcome

So it turned out the PCM corrected the CATS light and the engine red light fault. Noteworthy surprise, it also corrected the TPMS issues.

Covered under the extended warranty thank goodness.

That’s crazy. Who would have guessed so many things would have a common culprit? You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to, but what would have been the cost to you had it not been covered under warranty?

1775.00 for the ECU and 2125 total cost. Jag dealership pricing.

Wowza, that’s some serious coin! Thank God for the warranty. At least you’ll be back on the road now and enjoying the car like before.

just wait… you’ll wish you had bought a REAL car rather than an Ipad on wheels… “O I’m sorry sir our system no longer supports that…”

Not sure what that means, godfrey. Every car, even the cheapest, are loaded with electronics nowadays. You’ve made it clear in the past that you’re not a fan of the XF, XE, XJ, etc. I doubt any of us who own them would claim they have the looks of a XK120 or a XJ6, but they look pretty good compared to other modern cars. Are you implying that we should be driving decades old cars instead?

1 Like