Settings for Koni adjustable shocks for rear XJ6

Hi
I am fitting a set of rear Koni Shock absorbers in my XJC and I am looking for some idea’s of what would be the best setting. I have four settings from the soft position , plus 180, plus 360, plus 540, and finally plus 720 degree
cheers

I’ve actually just emailed GAZ to ask them the same, want to put them to factory Jag settings then go from there…

Hi Frank welcome to the forums.
It will probably come down to personal preference, how hard/easy is the adjustment once the shocks are on the car?

Hi Frank,
If the car has standard rear springs, in your shoes I’d be inclined to leave them in the soft position. Higher rate springs call higher damping settings. Then if you experience excessive rebound you can select more damping (no small task at the rear of an XJ, I know).

“Excessive rebound” could be any forceful upward movement of the car in response to an undulation in the road surface that you or your passengers don’t like. This is probably best tested on not-so-smooth highways at the speed limit.

With luck, someone who’s been through the mill on this will have something to offer. I’ve only had Koni’s on the front of XJ, where full soft was found to be fine. Other cars: full soft has been fine on standard springs, cars with high rate (lowered) springs required considerable increases in damping.

Whatever you do, be sure to drive the car for a while before you decide you need to change the setting. We keep hearing from people who claim their new shocks are too harsh. Apparently new shocks tend to be harsh, seem to soften up a bit within some break-in period.