Seven Inch Headlights

List;
How rare, if at all, are the7” headlamp frames?
I installed them on my 71 and am wondering if I should put back the original frames if I sell it?

Thanks
Lou

Lou,

I don’t quite understand your problem I’m afraid: do you have the frames surrounding US 5" outer head lights surplus after you installed Euro 7" headlights? - They are not very rare.

OTOH, the original surroundings with the mesh wire for the front wing fresh air ducts seem to be rare and expensive, if in very good condition, as the chrome is typically pitted.

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

Jochen:

My apology if I gave the impression that there is a problem. There is not.

My comment, which was not clear, was meant to ask the question of which size surround, 5” or 7”, is more desirable.

In my opinion, the 7” headlight is esthetically more desirable. But as you say, how does fresh air get to the cabin on vehicles with the 7” unit?

With regard to rarity, am I correct that all vehicles sold in Europe were equipped with the 7” surround. And I think that vehicles sold in the USA had the 5”. I believe that was a result of USA law which disregarded the question of which size provided better illumination and required the 5” lights.

Lou

Lou, the 7" units have a mesh screen at the top of the surround that feeds the ducting running under the tops of the guards. You have to bend a bit down to see them. Paul

So you have the 5in frames in storage, the 7in are in the car and you want to sell the car soon. The 7in are desirable in the US, but you must find out whether it is worth the trouble of downgrading to the 5in units so you could sell the 7in separately, or easier to leave it as is and tell prospective buyers how much the improvement you already did make is helping both optically and at night.
Jochen is correct that the 5in are not very desirable, but there seems to be a market for good-condition 7in surrounds in the us especially. If you have the time, research how much the surrounds sell for before you go through the trouble of removing them.

David

FYI, here is a photo of the original 7" surround (on a 1972 XJ6 Series 1):