Shelley Tyre Pump Hose / Flex

Hello Again,

I managed to drop my pump and sheer off the braided hose / flex. Words were said that I won’t repeat on this very polite Forum!

Does anyone know if there is someone who is reproducing these hoses / flexes with the braided covering? Ideally it would be good to use the original brass fittings from my hose / flex.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim.
I’m interested to see what replies you receive.
At one point complete reproductions of the pump with hose were available. Not sure if these are still available and if any of the major XK suppliers sell them.
I have seen them periodically appear for sale on Ebay.
Cheers, Graham.

997%20tyre%20pump

Here is a link but appear NLA. From them anyway.
http://jollyrogersmotors.com/store/p/1086-Tire-Pump-Jaguar-XK120.html

These JollyRoger pumps are at best a space filler, excellent in some aspects, but spoilt by the cast brass bottom cap/feet, although if painted black that would be a big improvement.
The flex/hose also is spoilt by the yellow trace in the otherwise Green braid, but has the earlier SS/Mark IV fittings, quite different in apperance to Mark V/XK120, but more importantly different thread, so will not fit into an original Mark V/XK120 pump. I (think) I have a couple of these same reproduction hoses which apart from yellow trace are reasonably good reproductions for SS-Jaguar/Mark IV pumps.

Timothy,
My suggestion for your damaged original XK120 Hose, if its broken adjacent to the pump-end fitting (as they often do); is to simply cut the minimum necessary off the hose, and re-use your original fittings.
Hose will be a little shorter than it should be, but otherwise still original.

Any chance of a photo of your pump and hose!

Roger

PS.

Original Jaguar Tyre Pumps were not SHELLEY branded, with no manufacturers branding/marking at all on the later Mark V/XK120 version.

SHELLEY was however a prolific period brand, so readily and cheaply found, thus often used as a space filler if original pump is missing, being offered by many sellers as ‘XK120 suitable’

Hello Roger,

I had a bicycle type pump in the tool kit when I bought the car. I was sold a Shelley branded pump and told that it was for a MKV. I had to file the feet down get it into the space so it was not original after all just as you say.

I have the correct grease gun now and not the one in the photo.

The Jolly Roger pump looks very lovely and I wouldn’t mind a new hose as the pump pumps very well and you just never know when you might need it? I left a message fo the owner to ask if he knew of anyone who might be able to supply a hose.

None of the major suppliers I have asked have anything in stock.

There must be someone who could make them?

Cheers,

Tim

The pump should have two wire foot holds as per the symmetry of the tray cut-out but the cast foot holds on the Shelley are wrong.

Peter

Thank you, Peter.

As always, I live and learn.

It fits now after a little filing. I’m not a pedant (sorry couldn’t help that after your exchange with Ed) so I’m happy with it. All I need now is the hose / flex.

I will post photo’s of the MKV with your lovely colour scheme on the SS in few months time.

Kindest regards,

Tim

Timothy Fox

Timothy2963@gmail.com

1 Like

Actually I’m not really a pedant either, in fact I confess I might be wrong about the cast v. bent wire foot holds.

Peter :worried:

In railway preservation parlance a pedant is also known as a ‘rivet counter’. It is actually quite tiring trying to be a perfectionist as it’s simply unachievable, or so I keep telling myself!

These days, and with the benefit of age and experience, I try and simply be content. That is, achieve a certain standard and leave it at that.

Kindest regards,

Tim

Rev’d Timothy Fox

Timothy2963@gmail.com

You won’t get any praise from the pedants if you copy my car’s colour scheme but the general public like it. I was even hailed as a taxi once. I didn’t have the presence of mind to stop and ask “Where to?” but if it happens again I might be tempted to take them to their destination but not charge them.

Peter :wink:

I was going to comment, but didn’t, but now will.
The feet on Mark V and XK120 pumps are cast steel (not brass as per the repro), and have an elongated oval hole in the middle, with top surface of feet having chevron grooving. If that doesn’t make sense I can send a photo. The timber handle should be painted black, and there is no exposed spring below the handle.
SS Jaguar and Mark IV pumps also have cast steel feet, but grooving is now straight. Handle is clear varnish, but again no spring. The Mark IV to Mark V demarcation is not exact.
But no wire feet on SS-Jaguar nor Jaguar pumps, albeit there was scope for some oddities immediate post war. And most importantly, the threaded hole in cast steel pump base for the screw in flex/ hose is different size thread, so a Mark V hose will not fit a Mark IV pump and vice versa. That’s a quick simple overview, not exact.

I think that the colour scheme is perfectly suited to an SS, MKIV & MKV. It was popular with Bentleys so that’s high recommendation.

I love the idea of someone hailing you as a taxi.

Best wishes,

Tim

Timothy Fox

Timothy2963@gmail.com

Here is my original Mark V pump, which was in the tool tray when the car came to me in 1969. No brand name at all.
tools%20039
End fittings.
PICT0001
Chevron angled grooves in steel feet.
PICT0003
Painted handle.
PICT0043
Overall length about 21-1/2".
PICT0047

BTW the repro pump sold by Tracy with brass feet and varnished handle as “suitable for XK120” is too long to fit in the Mark V tool tray. One would have to cut down and re-thread the operating rod a bit to make it fit.

In my part of the world a pedant is someone who gives way too much information, assuming you want to know all of it. e.g. Ask an engineer for the time and he (or I) will tell you how to build a clock. :thinking:

Cordell Newby used to sell nice repro pump hoses, in green…

Speaking of SS taxis. I had the 2 MK IVs registered with the Taxi Directorate as SV Hire cars. I was doing a wedding for a friend and the reception was in a restaurant in the centre of Toorak Rd Village. Fortunately a Taxi zone right outside the restaurant and so i pulled up there and the photographer, as they do, took various pics of them getting out of the car. An officious parking inspecttor came over and said " do you realise this is a taxi zone?"
I yes, it’s OK , it’s a taxi"
He gave me this " yeah right" look, so I said " have a look at the reg sticker on the windscreen" with the .’ Victorian Taxi Directorate licence umber’ he wanders over, looks and walks away… YES… : >)

Speaking of colour schemes. While two tonem ight be OK for SS and MK Vs. The Mk IV sales brochure listed available colous, none two tone , and specifically stated that no variations would be made. Logical really, as just after the war, there was rationing ,long waiting lists for new cars, and why hold up production with special colours when they could sell standard models as fast as they could make them.

I neglected to mention that I could not identify the thread on my hose. It is 11/32" OD with about 25 or 26 threads per inch, which is not on my BSP thread chart.

Lord Montagu mentions in his 1961 book that the only Jaguar taxicab he had ever seen was a Mark V being operated in Crawley New Town.

Allan Crouch says in his book that only two Mark Vs left the factory in two-tone paint. There were a few despatched in primer, and a small number in special colors, which I suppose could have been Lyons himself experimenting with new ideas. Someone on this forum said that some arrived in Australia already needing a repaint after the long ship passage. Two-tone was popular in America through the 1950s, so it is likely that American dealers would do them for customers.

I see that the factory dispatched 2 cream* and black cars and 2 ivory* and black cars. All were early coachbuilt SS Jaguars.

Peter

• A subtle difference or double accounting?

Perfect…is the enemy of good enough!

Rob,

It took a bit of searching, but having access to pre-war British Standards helped.
The thread in the pump, and thus thread for the pump end of the Flex/Hose is BSC (British Standard Cycle), which was a special thread widely used in the British Motor Cycle industry, and not in the Automotive Industry. BSC in most (but not all) sizes was 26 tpi, and is always 60 degrees, and not the Whitworth 55 degrees as per BSP.
I read a reference that said these style Tyre Pumps originated from the Bicycle and Motor Cycle industry, thus carried over to later automotive applications.
The later Mark V/XK120 pumps have a 3/8"BSC thread and are quickly identified by having a 1/4"BSF Hexagon fitting. Keep in mind my Mark IV / Mark V demarcation is not necessarily exact; just a convenient simplification, but SS-Jaguar and Mark IV pumps have an 11/32"BSC thread and are quickly characterised by having a round-grooved fitting. See a detailed picture of an original Oct 1947 Mark IV hose fitting.

Now 11/32" BSC was not a ‘standard’ BSC size, but the British Standard for BSC threads does allow for non-standard diameters, so long as 26 tpi and 60 degrees is maintained.
Problem is of course, no ready availability of 11/32" BSC taps and dies, albeit the later use 3/8"BSC taps and dies are readily available. We do have a guy locally looking into feasibility of reproducing these 11/32"BSC hose fittings, thus my efforts to positively identify them.

Rob, your pictured pump and hose is interesting as it seems to overlap my simplistic Mark IV/V demarcation. A black handled, chevron grooved feet pump, but with a hose flex having a round-grooved 11/32"BSC hose fitting. What date is your Mark V, and how confident are you that your pump is original to it.

Jaguar simply referred to these Tyre Pumps as C993 concerned about overall dimensions to ensure fitment in the SS-Jaguar, Mark IV and Mark V tool tray, and were not concerned about hose thread so long as a pump/hose set matched; so the pump manufacturer may not necessarily aligned thread change with Jaguars use in Mark IV or Mark V.