Shift override?

I have an 88 XJ40. Somebody broke into the shop it was at and stole all the keys. Is there a way to override the shifter to get my rear wheels unlocked for a tow? Even if there’s something I could detach underneath the car. I wanna save my baby!

Easiest way … go under the car and disconnect the shift linkage on the side of the transmission (two small bolts). Now move the shift lever on the transmission to the neutral position.

Next be VERY careful where you park your car because a criminal has your keys :open_mouth:

Does your car have a plug like this:

If so, remove the plug using an appropriately-sized straight screwdriver, then use a rod / screwdiver to press down on the ‘tab’ to unlock the gearshift and shift into neutral. Now, if you are planning on towing it any distance with wheels on the ground consult the factory recommendations for towing. If you just need to be able to roll it onto a flatbed you should be good to go.

1 Like

Thank you! It should be safe in my driveway.

Similar set up, but I don’t have those switches under the shifter. If I’m not mistaken the 88 doesn’t have the override switch.

I am not very familiar with the earlier XJ40s (I have a '94). Based on pictures I have found I believe you are correct. Sorry for any mis-information.