Shipping BW65 + TC

I am glad to have found a new home for the BW65 + TC that I replaced with the THM700.

It is all going to Finland or pretty much half way around the world.

For reference, the box with transmission weighs 98lbs, the torque converter 41lbs.

Dropped today at FedEx.

2 Likes

It is happening again!
One of the boxes has arrived in Germany. The other one is still in … Memphis, the black hole that swallows FedEx packages.
I cannot fathom the circumstances under which 2 boxes shipped together, have to be separated…

The probable circumstances, Eric; there are two items that are physically separable!

They are to be transported somewhere, but the handlers have room for only one item with the available transport - and put one on it. The other is then, hopefully, put on the next available transport (which may go via ‘anywhere’) to the address. This may happen at any stage of the transportation. If each are labelled with appropriate information; they may ultimately end up at the correct address…:slight_smile:

All this is if everything goes according to plan - excluding human errors, misunderstandings, omissions, computer glitches, accidents, illnesses, acts of God, or plain bad luck…

This is valid for all transport methods, including bearers - though I doubt FedEx employs the latter? The only way to avoid losing one of two items is to make the physically inseparable, then you lose neither - or both…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Yesterday, I received a letter from FedEx about a claim that they decline to honor. So apparently, they lost the S2 torque converter on its way to Finland (in Memphis, again) and the bought insurance is apparently worthless.

I now have a 90% loss rate and 100% worthless insurance with FedEx…
I find UPS more expensive but trouble-less.
In the end the normal post works best for me…

But FedEx must have given some sort of explanation, Eric? Or like your previous rim experience; imperfect tracking - you may eventually get the part…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

1 Like

Very much reminds me of the trouble @PeterCrespin had trying to get parts to me in Germany.
He ended up takin the parts (including a heavy flywheel) to the UK, then brought them to Holland and left them with a friend where I could pic them up.

Also had trouble with a part from Australia (this time it was German Customs that caused the problem). Took several month to arrive.

I try and avoid buying from outside Europe if I can. It is just too much hassle.

I, too, would like to hear what FedEx said.

Infuriating.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

And, while on the subject…FedEx gets a special exemption in the USA as their employees are treated as independent contractors yet they only carry fedex packages. This special exemption took an act of congress.
A FedEx employee (er independent contractor) makes 1/2 what is paid to UPS (united postal service receives ) employee…yes an employee

Zero explanation. FedEx shop (where I initially dropped off the boxes) called me (first time ever they call me) after I visited them as indicated in their letter and they told me they don’t want to hear about it, go phone the FedEx AI…

The good news is that it looks like at least the BW65 made it to its new home in Finland. So, let’s be modest with expectations and celebrate the wins :slight_smile:

The TC is still in Memphis FedEx blackhole…

Eric…
I tried to ship a BW66 from NC to VA… I knew the parcel would literally go through only 2 centers to make it to it’s destination.
I had previously shipped transmissions in large, heavy duty containers without any issues. So I bubbled it up pretty good, bought the container, and put labels all over the container.
Our UPS person came out, grabbed it off the porch by one side, dropped it on the stairs, and busted the container… She proceeded to wrap it up, and sent it on it’s way…
I emailed the buyer to let him know, but it never made it to his house. By the time it got to the center in Richmond, the container was completely destroyed… So they repackaged it and sent it back to me.
UPS paid the claim and refunded the shipping but it was a big ordeal…
I’ll likely never ship another one…
Cheers
David
shop.EverydayXJ.com
0-1

1 Like