Shipping my Jaguar from the US to Canada... recommendations?

Thanks for all of that information guys - a lot to process. I’m phoning border services today to see their take on this… - and thanks Ben for the link to Charlene - Sounds like she could be very helpful.

It’s well laid out in this article:

Step 3: The infamous 72-hour export rule

The 72-hour rule is a wonderful bit of red tape designed to make life just a little bit harder for those exporting a car from the U.S. That’s right, before you can import into Canada you have to export it from the U.S. Failure to do this will result in massive trouble if you ever set foot in the U.S. again. You must contact (usually by phone because they never respond to emails) the exact U.S. border crossing you will be using at least 72 hours before you show up with a car to be exported (see Step 5). You will need to send them two things:

• A digital scan of the front and back of the title
  • Your Internal Transit Number (see below)
1 Like

One of the reasons I’m hoping to get a shipping company Nick!

Quotes have come in from both Reliable and TFX, and I’ve yakked with the Canada Border Service (who were very friendly - surprising!) - and also helpful. Still - I’m working hard to cross all my "T"s and dot all mu "i"s… !

better hurry, I see shut downs for virus coming…Canada as of now requires an on the web process 72 hrs in advance, with a test, and self certification etc. One cannot just show up at the border. May all change fast. Nick

Thanks Nick but I already tried that with another vehicle under the RIV. Lewiston-Queenston closes at 4pm on the US side and after a two day drive from Florida, that’s tough to make it by. The Canadian side is open 24/7 though.

With the other vehicles, I cleared US customs at Detroit which was open 24/7 but very difficult to find, as pointed out in your article. They don’t want it to be too easy.

Bruce,
I shipped a nearly new 3800 mi. 2003 Buick Park Ave. Ultra from Elizabeth
Co. to Milford, Ct. in 2009 using Intercity Lines, Warren Mass, 800-221-3936. These are totally enclosed trucks W/lifts, 2 levels inside. There was a Ferrari & 1 other exotic left when they arrived in Ct. Regular shippers for “snowbirds” & “sunbirds”. 2 yrs ago a friend shipped 2 vehicles from Ca. to Ct. via Intercity.
Top notch company. Stay away from brokers & open trailers. They will tell you if they can handle over the border issues. They ship collector cars all the time.
Not sure where the car is in Ct. but if you choose Interstate & I can be of any help let me know. It’s not that big of a state.
Michael Caro

Great to hear you found your “E” Bruce! Look forward to seeing it when you get it over the border and in the neighbourhood.

On the issue of shipping, my brother in law has used Reliable twice for shipping classics from the US to Toronto and was very pleased.

David

@mcaro - Hi Michael - Thanks for that, as it turns out I’ve already signed up with Reliable… I did check about 4 other companies, but this was the one that gave me the most confidence… Didn’t see Intercity - but now I wish I had… ah well…

@TO_Etype … Thanks David - Am really excited about this… :slight_smile: And - hey - if there is one thing that Markland Wood needs desperately it is another BRG FHC E Type - no? :joy:

Reliable is telling me 1 to 8 weeks for delivery (which seems rather broad) so I expect it’ll have to wait until May… what idiot buys and E type in December in Canada??? :sweat_smile:

Can’t wait to show it to you… cheers - B

1 Like

With studded snow tires, they do quite well in deep snow.

:yum:

2 Likes

Maybe he can get theminstalled before it ships from Florida. :grimacing:

1 Like

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. They are a very professional organization.

A few years ago, I sold a car to a big dollar collector who buys and sells 30-40 cars per year, and he uses Reliable exclusively.

@Wiggles … I think you’re right - I own a book (that I’ve had for some 25 years) entitled “Jaguar E Type 3.8 & 4.2 6 Cylinder; 5.3 V12” (Pithy title, that). It was written by Denis Jenkinson, the Motorsport Journalist who documented his ownership of 2 E types from new - a 3.8 litre FHC and a 4.2 litre OTS. Entertaining read, especially as it was written when the cars were new - and when people didn’t baby them: see evidence in DJ enjoying the RWD… :slight_smile:

aka “Furface” Jenkinson, of Motorsport, R&T and other car mag fame back in the English sportscar glory days.

1 Like

@Nickolas - That’s the one! And I expect that he had many other AKA’s… :slight_smile:

It was Henry Manny III who named him that. I don’t recall which one of them coined “Grice, Spice & Pice”. Might have been Jenkinson.

1 Like

Our new owner arranged these guys - they have the Ferrari USA contract ! They handled getting the car to Montana and storing it until a Canadian shipper took it across. The shippers handled all the details, but… I related elsewhere that a foul up of mine on the wiring caused a problem with registration in Canada (a warning lamp was on, one not required by law, but the license inspector didn’t like it). Now the buyer and I checked all the posted regulations before hand, so you need the taxes handled, bring up a sore point I have with all car blog posts - comments need to be specific to models, years, options, just as what PROVINCE you’re in can have an influence on how this may go. My brother is a dual citizen who lives in the US and works in Canada. When you cross it is sometimes a 20 something “kid” who checks your bona-fides. All they have to go by is the letter of the law, so your ducks must be in a row. You don’t want to be involved with importing - let a pro do all the leg work. Worked fine for our great buyer (all Canadians are great, eh?), but he was no dummy and had stuff set up. Did still take a few extra days at the border, maybe covid, maybe just the way it goes with government agencies.

1 Like

What is the name of the company ?

Auto Box Express, but… as many know, trucking companies can contract out. The driver was a Russian and reported the owner just bought a number of tractors and trailers. He had 2 “over $1 000 000,” USD Ferraris sitting in front of our car on the top level - both red. Russians tell it like it is and said “your car is “nothing”, I picked up on mountainside with shop 4 times bigger than you”. He had some more “normal” cars on the truck, like one of those Nissans or something that lapped the Nuringberg Ring at some ridiculous speed.

I think some of those truck drivers have a bit of a complex, moving other people’s toys around all day. The guy who delivered my ‘65 Fastback made a point of pointing out every flaw he’d noticed on the car during his 4 or 5 days with it. He concluded with “It’s nice, but it’s far from perfect!”

On the other hand, I’ve had some of the coolest guys (and gals) show up to move my cars, and you could tell they felt like they had one of the best jobs in the world.

1 Like