Shock absorber color 3.8

is there a rattle can for the original color for the shock absorbers?
etype uk site says RAF bs633 blue grey is proper color.
is there a source here in the states that has an acceptable color?
thanks
ed

I heard that CJ provides rattle cans in the that blue/gray color.

Have a look here as it has the BS633 colour alternatives:

https://www.e-paint.co.uk/Colour_alternatives.asp?filter2=All&cRange=BS+Other&cRef=BS+633

Probably easiest for you to find will be:
AMS Standard 595A U.S. Army # 3378 / Blue

Regards

David

Factoid: The ‘633 Squadron’ book and 1964 film of the same name was written by Frederick E. Smith who served in the RAF during WW2. There was never a real 633 squadron in the RAF but it was the nickname the pilots gave to the painters who painted everything, movable and immovable, in RAF Blue Grey BS633 - hence “Here comes 633 squadron!”

1 Like

I matched it off of an original early jack handle. The formula is somewhere in the archives of the last month or so. Any paint shop that mixes paint and puts it in aerosol cans should be able to make up a can for you.

Edit:

https://jag-lovers.com/t/early-jack-colors/375476

same color as jack? thats not too blue?

I purchased a pair of NOS Girling front shocks from Welsh Jag two years ago for my 64 OTS… They are more blue than grey. I had a paint shop scan them and mix a pint so I can paint the new rear shocks in the same color.

pictures and paint formula please.

Only one picture seems to be showing up. If you don’t receive them, email me at ajacobson12@comcast.net and I’ll send the rest to you.

Looks like they uploaded OK.

Do you know if the dust shields on the rear shocks are the same color as the shock body?

Just had some paint made. They were able to locate the proper colour.

1 Like

Trivia: The film ‘633 Squadron’ told the story of an RAF Mosquito Squadron during World War 2. In reality there was never an official RAF 633 squadron however there was an unofficial one. The film was based on the 1956 novel of the same name by former Royal Air Force officer Frederick E. Smith and he paid tribute to the unsung heroes of the RAF.

‘633 Squadron’ was the nickname given to the painters who regularly descended on RAF bases and proceeded to paint everything RAF Blue Grey - BS633. “Here comes 633 Squadron, hide your belongings!”

David

4 Likes