Shock absorber lower bushings

(Joseph) #1

Hello everyone!
I had to replace these bushings due to deterioration. These were part of the polyurethane bushing set for the front suspension. I purchased then installed the set in 2011. These bushings were the last of the whole set. All bushings deteriorated over time except the ones in the lower wishbone. The new lower wishbone bushings are OEM , the rest is URO including these lower shock bushings.

On the right side the sleeve of the bushing was rusted on the bolt so I couldn’t separate the shock from the lower rear wishbone. I just couldn’t hammer out the bolt so it had to be cut off. (sorry no pic)
On the left side I was dealing with a very stubborn lower ball joint. I removed the spindle assembly with the wishbone and turning them upside down I was able to separate them by a hammer.

(Grooveman) #2

Joe …

Thanks for the well documented post ! Excellent pictures and information.

(Joseph) #3

Thank you Grooveman!
Although, the left side lower ball joint gave me a hard time and extra work, I still finished the whole job by 4:30 pm (started around 9:30 am). A local auto/truck part store-that has hydraulic press- installed the bushings and charged $20 for both shock lower bushings.

(Grooveman) #4

Joe …

The beauty of these cars is that although they are high luxury the average garage mechanic can still get their hands dirty and repair them. Post’s like your’s adds to that knowledge base.

(Joseph) #5

I agree with you Dennis. The whole job would’ve been a lot easier if the bushing was pressed in the shock (like in the rear shock) or at least the front part of the lower control arm and not the rear has a hole for the bushing. In that case that long pendulum bolt could stay in place and just the front half of the arm should be removed plus the spring and the pan of course. I still use that Durabilt tool set I bought at Target in 2003. Of course I got other wrenches too that wasn’t in the tool set. I can count on one hand how many special tools I got and still able to perform a head gasket replacement job. One of the specialty tool is a cam timing tool, a cheap $30 torque wrench from ebay. I’ve made my own spring compressor for about $25, harmonic balancer puller for just a few bucks and that’s about it.
What about you? have you made your own tool to make a repair job easier?