Shock absorbers on 1967 Series 1 OTS

Where Koni shocks an option from the factory or were Girling shocks the only ones available?
Also was a Blaupunkt AM SW FM radio an option.

Thanks in advance for you help
Steve Wissink

My 68 has a Blaupunkt AM/FM in it. I used to have a basket case 66 that had a Blaupunkt AM SW FM in it if I remember right. Did not work so I never could tell what the SW would pick up

David
68 E-type FHC

Hi, my 65 ots had a Blaupunkt AM FM. I tried the Koni shocks(red ones) and used the Koni classic(black) in back. I found the ride two stiff on the front and was able to find NOS Girlings for the front, much better.
Regards,
Allen

Don’t think so, only Girling as best I know.
Cheers,
LLynn

Steve

Only Girling NFP 64054298 front shock absorbers and NAP 64054299D rears were fitted by the factory. Konis might have been fitted by a dealer but not likely when a car was new. Check the archives as lots of owners have tried Konis and consensus appears to be too stiff and originals or other aftermarket are better for touring. Racing would be different…

Large variety of radio types were available including Blaupunkt which could well be factory original or dealer installed when new. If it works, install it. If it doesn’t, consider getting it repaired. Original style radios in good condition are a bit of a prize, so research the model number and applications to see what you have.

Bob Hodgins
66 FHC

My 65 OTS has a Volvo AM Radio -still works.

Always assumed it’s not original??

Stew

PS Have had Adjustable Spax for 20 years and they still work well.

Maybe the installing dealer was also a Volvo dealer.

My original Blaupunkt was repaired by Wilford Wilkes and the first weekend I had the car home I drove around listening to a Shakespearean play on the BBC on the SW! Cheers!

I’ve tried the orange painted Koni’s several times and found them much too stiff, even on softest settings. However this '67 coupe I recently acquired came with Koni " Classsics " front shocks - black in color. They are wonderful - currently set two clicks above softest.

Dr Haddock in his original book on E Type originality says Blaupunkt radios were “commonly” fitted to 4.2l cars, and shows photos of them installed in the 3.8l cars.

I want to thank everyone for the replies.
I found original Girling NFP 64054298 for the front shocks. The car had been stored inside and had only 60,000 miles on them. I am now trying to find 4 Girling NAP 64054299D for the rear.
I will also have my Blaupunkt AM SW FM radio restored.
I am trying to restore my car as to when it left the factory and again appreciate all the replies to me.

Steve Wissink

Attached are pics of my car as it has been glass blasted and has final finish.

Hi. Very nice. I like the color. Can you comment on the glass blasting. Was it bead, or crushed glass? Also was it wet or dry blasting? Any concerns with panel warping? Special techniques used?

Have them in my Mk2 and E type all around. Earlier on Dolomite Sprint when younger. They are great! Paul

buy a lottery ticket. Back in the day a lot of us put those on Spitfires and they lasted a week.