Shocking tales of my dizzy

After having set the timing statically and then going to the timing gun I was asked to turn the dizzy a few degrees. I got 40,000 volts at about 3amps a couple of times. This has now happened about 4 times too many and I am looking for answers. The wires are about 10 years old Magnecores and I am using a borrowed Malory electronic distributor.

All wires appear visually good and I don’t see any cracks in the dizzy cap.

Looking for some good ideas to solve this problem. Someone just told me to start it at night and look for flashes which I did not see. Someone else suggested spraying a mist of water onto the wires going into the cap. I should see a rainbow of lightening? Haven’t done this yet.

Might be easier to replace the ten year old wires and throw on a new cap.

How does one test their work without getting a shock like an electric fence??

Gerard

GERARD the reason you and not the spark plugs receive the 40,000 volts is you are a better ground. The wires/plugs/etc HAVE HIGHER RESISTANCE. Start your OHM meter and search. Pete

Do you mean I should compare the resistance of all the wires from one end to the other of each wire using the ohm setting?

I will try that and will probably go with buying some new silicone 7mm non metal core wires and use these as an emergency backup.

I asked another mechanic today about the shock and he said he had never experienced the ZAP. Seems odd that a true mechanic would not have felt the wrath of the resistance!

Gerard

Gerard

40K Volts at 3 A would mean your ignition primary circuit is drawing 10000 A. Check your ignition switch and Ammeter, they may need attention!

It feels like enough to melt steel, but the ignition system is only roughly 50W, at 40K V this means 1.2 mA.

As Pete says, you presented a better path to ground. Were you supporting yourself on a metal part of the engine/car with your other hand?

I’ve taken a hit a couple of times in my youth. Since then I only turn the distributor by the base when I’m adjusting timing on a running engine.

Wear a rubber glove !

1 Like