[SOLD] Short Block (plus) V12 out of 1984 Jaguar XJ-S

Additional photos as requests - just ask.

Description: V12 short Block with Heads and Cams

• New crankshaft bearings fitted.
  • New camshaft bearings fitted.
  • Cam Sprockets not included - explains the pool noodles supporting the timing chain
  • New valves with valve seats triple cut; fitted with Teflon valve seals - - fitted by a company called ‘Heads by Paul’.
  • New cylinder head studs.
  • New oil pump fitted.
  • Viton o-rings fitted on all oil pickup tube fittings in sump
  • Heads were skimmed
  • Crankshaft, layshaft and camshafts are not new, but we’re accurately measured and found to be comfortably within specs and didn’t need to be machined.
  • Pistons, sleeves and con rods are not new, but we’re accurately measured and found to be comfortably within specs and didn’t need to be machined.
  • New front and rear crankshaft seals fitted (rear one sized using the official tool and the documented procedure).
  • New Total Seal piston rings fitted.
  • Oil pan and sump gaskets were made from expanded Teflon sheet.
  • Tappet blocks sealed using documented procedure.
  • Stainless steel ‘sandwich’ type head gasket fitted.
  • Cylinder heads fitted and torqued as per official documentation.
  • The tappet shims fitted are temporary ‘adjustable’ shim material - intended to be used to accurately measure the required size of shim required.
  • The cylinder heads were skimmed
  • Teflon valve stem seals fitted. They did a good job in general, but they cut the valve seats a little too deep I think. That resulted in standard shims not being thick enough to set the tappet clearance correctly - thus the temporary adjustable shims.
  • does not include the engine stand

Asking price (if selling): $5,000 (US Dollars) OBO

Contact information: Send PM to @Craig_Balzer

Cost of shipping (if selling): actual cost to your location

Willing to ship worldwide? No

Please always be careful before sending money or valuables to someone you don’t know. Use an escrow service if you’re not 100% certain of the identity and integrity of the person you’re dealing with.

By using this service you agree to resolve any and all disputes with the other party directly, and to indemnify and hold Jag-lovers harmless from any claims, losses, liability, or expenses (including attorneys’ fees) that arise from your use of Jag-lovers and this service.

Still for sale? Helping the post to the top!

Top posting this: this is a steal!

Paul

Yes – still for sale.
More surprising – no takers at all; no questions.

Craig

That’s astonishing!

Perhaps people don’t trust the provenance of it, and maybe my vouching for the person who did it might help.

It’s a steal at the price you’re asking for it.

1 Like

You said: Perhaps people don’t trust the prominence of it, and maybe my vouching for the person who did it might help.
I doubt that very much. I felt when you posted more details re the engine and the guy doing the work that it added to the great deal.
Maybe I underpriced it and folks are suspicious that the deal seems too good to be true.
Gonna be patient

1 Like

Maybe I can make that go into the hot rod… :slight_smile:

Going to be a tough sell. I would not rebuild an XJS bottom end. Not cost effective. Only worth it on an XKE to keep matching numbers. For XJS, I’d just get a used engine from a rusty or wrecked car. On car-part.com a used XJS complete engine is around $500 from many sources. It is obviously not the same thing as what you are offering, but it surely limits the market. Someone will want it.

All fairly good points, but even V12s are starting to get a bit difficult to find. This one is very well-rebuilt, and if memory serves, has a new oil pump in it: that piece alone is $2200 new.

PRICE REDUCTION - NEW PRICE $4,000

Craig I’m not in the market for an engine but I am curious what the implications of the valve seats being cut too deep might be. How do you get the proper clearances if the standard shims won’t work?

Robert - I am not knowledgeable enough about the valve train to answer your question – maybe @Wiggles can chime in.

I assume you mean the shims that are typically labelled A to Z and measure from 0.085" to 0.0110" by .001" increments. If so, SNG Barratt’s carries tappet shims ranging from 0.076" to 0.183".
I don’t know which thicknesses are required to get the proper valve lash, but that range gives lots of options.