Should I use 185 or 205 tires - I know it is a tired topic

I currently have 205s on my 1968 OTS and am in need of new tires. I have 5 inch rims. The stopper, or whatever it is called, in rear wheel wells has not been grounded down yet and when the car is lifted off the ground the rear wheels cannot turn because it is pressed against it.

I want to put 185 Vreds on my 5 inch rims but do not what the car to look weird of anaemic with skinny tires. I put the spare on the rear which is a 185 to see how they compared. There is a noticeable difference when the 185 is compared to the 205 on the same car.

I know this question has been asked many times before, but if I put on the Vred 185 R15 tires on my car will I regret it because of the looks. I do not drive the car hard so it is only the looks that I am concerned about.

So with the 185s mounted on my 5 inch rims will the car look not as good as having 205s? Will I regret installing 185s?

You tell me…

1 Like

I see by your picture that they do look good. In my picture the left tire is a 185 and the right is a 205. When compared there is a difference.

Thank you

Robert
I like the looks and performance of the 205s and would not go back to the original size. My car also has the original 6" turbo wheels and the 185s look odd. Keep in mind not all tire widths are created equal within a size. On one of my cars, I just got new tires of the original size but a different brand. The actual tread size measures one inch wider. Compare actual tread widths.
Glenn

Robert, I am confused as to why you are asking us which you think looks better. It seem similar to asking us which color you like the best. Some prefer the wider look, some prefer the vintage look. Since you are asking, maybe you do not really have a preference, maybe you think they both look fine. I do.
Tom

Tires are a personal choice, unless of course, you want ‘original’. If you look at the car from the front, the wheels look like they are too far in the body, and the skinny tires look strange. If it were mine, I would look to bringing the hubs out or buying custom wheels to bring the tires out to the fender line. Never really liked the ‘original’ look.

Hi,

205 ER70 (or 70 VR15) is fine on Series 3. On Series 1 & 2 185/80 VR15 radials work best, the whole suspension and steering was built for those sizes.

I prefer Michelin XVS or Dunlop SP Sport for the 6-cyl cars and Michelin XWX or Dunlop Aquajets on the V12 and XJ6 but any good radials in the right size are fine, Pirelli Cinturatos and Vredestein Sprint Classics etc.

Original sizes work well in all circumstances, if you want to build a custom car it’s another thing. Of course you can change everything if you like, but it will never be the same. IMO the best ride of the era, more comfortable than any Aston, Ferrari or Maserati, but more sporty than a Bentley, Jensen or Mercedes.

Cheers!

+1
Also, 205s on S1 and S2 cars are a brute to park with.

Regards,

Bill

2 Likes

I’m going to disagree with that. I’ve had 205’s on the 69 2+2 I previously owned and the 69 FHC I now own. I 70 and not a particularly big guy. I have no problem turning the steering wheels when parked or moving slowly. I think we’ve grown too used to the numb, over boosted power steering on most modern vehicles.

Edit: I keep the tires at 32 psi.

1 Like

It’ll drive fine, with either: me?

I like the wider tires, and center-laced rims

image .

3 Likes

We’ll have to agree to disagree. Except for one Mk2, all I have in the shop are E Types, a couple of which are S2s with 205 tires. If I have to move those cars around in the car park, they’re the days I don’t go to the gym.

Regards,

Bill

Ah, that happens with you older mechanics.

:grimacing:

The 205s certainly are more difficult to turn, at a dead stop, but once rolling, were fine.

1 Like

Hello Paul,
My point was in my first post related to parking. Many make the mistake when parking to try and yank the wheel round on the opposite lock with the car stationary. Any of the S1/S2 cars I have in work shod with 205s are tolerable if you get just a little bit of motion going, but that’s not always possible in a tight parking spot.

This is not an issue with 185s, and apart from appearance, I see no other point in fitting 205s. As Pekka points out, the suspension and steering of S1/S2s was built for those sizes.

What quite a lot do is use 185s, or 195s on wider rims. It results in the wheel well being filled out a bit more to satisfy the appearance, if you’re that way inclined, but with a similar footprint to original. This was a recommendation by a tire guru (wholesaler/retailer of tires for E Types and similar period cars) on the UK E Type Forum.

Regards,

Bill

1 Like

Only if you’re a true weakling.

3 Likes

Have the car stationary and turn the steering wheel lock to lock and tell me honestly whether you think that amount of effort is good for the steering components from steering column right down to the pinion engaged with the rack.

There is a big difference in effort required to perform the same exercise with an E Type fitted with 185 tires and without PAS.

I saw enough stuffed Rack Bars and Pinions to make it worthwhile to set up to manufacture these tow parts. Very few have been for cars shod with 185 tires.

Its a different kettle of fish for an E Type with PAS, as the assist is applied directly to the Rack Bar, therefore, reducing dramatically the force applied to the steering components upstream.

Bill, you started out stating 205’s are difficult to park. Some disputed. I agree with those disputers. When parking, IMO, it is abusive to turn the steering wheel while not moving and grinding the tires into the pavement. I do not park a car with power steering by turning the wheel while not moving. Now if you have some unusual situation in your shop that you must turn the wheel without moving, then do what you must. But that is not normal parking a car and should not, IMO be an example of normal car use.
Tom

1 Like

Hello Tom,
Not at all and I know how to park cars with heavy steering due to tires wider than the steering was designed for. But clearly there are a lot who don’t; manufacturing steering components for E Types is quite lucrative for me. Think about it; how often have you seen people parking cars, of any description, doing exactly what you’re describing. Do you really think that E Type Jaguars are immune to such treatment. I have one client, with two S2s, both with 6.5 rims and 205’s, that visits my shop practically every day and that’s his method of turning around in my yard where you can turn a rigid tray on one lock. Its water off a ducks back each time I tell him that’s not good for his car.

1 Like

What he said. I don’t ever turn the wheel on non-moving tires (unless off the ground) even with my modern cars…hard on the tires and steering components.

I also have a Porsche 356C, very light in the front (engine in rear) with skinny, weeny tires. Even that puts up a fight if you’re not rolling, much less an E with its long nose and engine. I’m actually surprised my E with 205s steers as easily as it does the second it starts moving.

I thought the 195 tyres looked pretty good on my car , unfortunately they were only " S " rated and felt soft and soggy unless inflated to the max . So 205 s were put on . Surprising the difference it made - before the car felt light and nimble when turning , now much more effort needed . On the plus side , steering feel at speed is now better - befere it felt too light and twitchy .

Me neither, with one exception. In the garage, with the car on a VCT floor I can reach in the window and turn the steering wheel with one hand.

It takes so little movement to make turning the steering wheel easy I don’t see why parking effort is even an issue.

1 Like