Should I use 185 or 205 tires - I know it is a tired topic

Diamondback has them as well, cheaper than Aon. I think their tires are built by Nexen.

Diamondback is the source all the Corvette guys swear by. They use various base tires to grind and apply red, gold and various width whitewalls on the casings. Service and quality said to be very good. Cheaper than Avon does not mean “cheap”, however.

I think this is the tire that the basic DB is based on:

https://www.nexentireusa.com/tires/n_priz_ah5/15405

It is said they run and inspect each tire, spinning them up before grinding them for stripe application. In any case, they have a good reputation.

I have Michelin X 205/75 on my 68 OTS right now. I am replacing them with 205/70. I have been told that the Michelin 205/75 are no longer available.

Here you go as of ten minutes
Left side 205/70/15 Michelin xwx 6 inch wheel
Right side 185 vred 5 inch wheel
It does fil it out
Hopefully in a year the snow will melt
These tires are 333 a tire but the look and NOT oversized compared to my uniroyals does make a stance difference

None of the 205/75s available in Blighty are suitable for a car as light as an E. All tyres here are for cars weighing two tonnes or more, the load rating is 97 or higher, and the speed rating T or H. Great for a van or SUV, less so for a 1960s sports car or GT car. Not sure what choices you have state-side.

I’m quite sure a 215/65 on a 6" bead laced wheel (offset close to standard issue 5" wheel) would fit. I couldn’t quite squeeze them in with Dayton centerlaced wheels as the wheel offset was too great. That size might also fit with the MSW 5.5 centerlaced wheel or their triple laced offering. Diameter for a 215/65 is 26.8", a 205/70 is 26.3".

Here’s a handy tire size chart if you don’t have one. Tire Size Chart

V rated
They were the king of Ferrari and I like my vreds
But these look killer!

And if you have access to a size chart you should actually use it.

Diameter for 215/65-15 is 26", 205/75-15 is 27.1".

Just for reference, 185R15 is 26.94", 205/70-15 is 26.3"

Thank you for the prompt correction. (I did look at it and read the 8 as part of the diameter…looked odd when I typed it)

I still like the original skinny tires. Been running them long distance and like them all the same.

1 Like

I was told the same thing yesterday, at least in the Defender mark.

G’day John… I want to run 205/65’s on 6" center lace daytons on my S1 OTS… did you shave the inner rear fender lip? I have removed the bump stop and shaved the bracket! how much space is at the 2 o’clock position? Thanks

Here’s a photo of a 205/70 on the rear 6"Dayton center laced wheel. I shaved about 1/4" at the10-11 o’clock position. I have 205/65 on the front, but never checked them on the rear. My guestimate is that they would also require a slight adjustment as the section is the same.

Thanks Eric… Its funny just the same… I was talking to one of the usual suspect suppliers and they claim they havent sold a 6" center laced wheel for years… yet I see lots of photos with them installed!!

Cheers

XKS (now Moss) told me there was no way. Dayton gave me the offsets of the original Jaguar wheel and their centerlaced. Yes way. That said, it was almost a decade ago… I had to argue with the XKS sales guy to order them.

I will tell you that a 215/65 will not work…no way, no how. However, I’m quite confident that it would fit on a 6" standard bead laced wheel.(bump stops removed). By the way, I jacked the 205/70 through the full suspension range (shocks removed). The lip is the only place it (barely) touched, but can’t recall the exact suspension position.

One more note, I seem to recall that the MWS 5.5 or 6" centerlaced offering had a slightly smaller offset. They were more expensive and I personally preferred the look of the Daytons,

They were on my car when I got it. Bump stops are in place. Tires clear fenders with no issue.

Tweety had the bump stops removed, decades back, to clear the 6" Borranis, with fat Goodyear Blue Streaks on them. The inner fender lips had been flattened too, and I cleaned that up a bit, when I put the 6" center-laced Dayton’s on it.

205 on 5inch rims. love the look haven’t installed yet., hope clearance is good.