Sideview Mirror Emergency

Many months ago while trying to squeeze past my driver’s side with a shopping cart, I, thinking (wrongly?) that the side view mirrors on the XJS fold backwards (i.e. towards the doors) like they do on the X-300s and X-308s, tried to push my driver’s side mirror backward out of the way. It did move a bit, with difficulty and a loud grinding CREAKKKKK sound. Later on when I tried to pull it back in place it made the same sound but didn’t seem to go all the way back where it originally was. As a result of the movement, the mirror also now seemed to shake somewhat whenever the vehicle was in motion, although the pair of mounting screws and base were still firmly in place on the door. This drove me batty. :crazy_face:

Yesterday, I decided to remove the mirror assembly mounting screws and see if there was anything I could do to get the mirror to stay firmly in place like it was supposed to… I discovered there is a small coil spring and a “cam” washer (my name for it, I think Jag has their own nickname for it) underneath the base of the mirror assembly, but no other parts. Not seeing any way to correct the issue, I put the assembly back on the door, but now it just flops all over the place like a broken chicken wing. :rage:

How to fix anyone - or am I going to have to buy a new mirror assembly?

I have several spare mirrors…i’ll check out and see if i can help you when i get back to the garage tonight.

Cheers

Gary

They are not repairable. You can glue it back in place, or replace it.

They do fold back, but there’s something in there that rusts, or fails with age. Mine went this past summer. I replaced it. The replacement does not bend.

I would soak it with WD40 or something and exercise it, it might come back to it’s senses, you have nothing to loose, if it’s broken you have to get a other one anyway…

Best,
Aristides

I think I’ll try the glue option first. Someone on another forum mentioned regular JB Weld, but I think I’ll see if I can find a tube of Kwik-Steel (if they still make the stuff) as it will set up in just a few minutes and harden just like steel. Will report back on the results. Thanks everyone. :smile:

After trying to repair the same problems with my cars and failing, I bought a bunch of extras.
I have mirror sets from pre facelift and post facelift available if needed.
Please contact me offline 650.455.1110

Thanks for the offer, Equip. I may take you up on that soon. :smile:

In the meantime, and by way of update, I tried using the Kwik-Steel putty (or whatever it’s called) but, dumb me, I was trying to work mostly in the dark and with the mirror assembly only unscrewed from the car door but not un-wired. I worked the putty into the slight gap between the base of the stem and the base of the assembly itself,and also fashioned a narrow “collar” of the stuff all the way around the gap (I pressed it down flat and trimmed it. It’s dark grey when dry, but not unsightly on the stem, as fashioned). Unfortunately, BECAUSE I was working in the dark, and in the heat, and with the mirror assembly only detached from the door but still connected by the wire, I somehow goofed big time and managed to putty it so that, after I screwed the assembly back in place on the door, the mirror was folded back against the window in THAT position, instead of at a 45-degree angle. :open_mouth:

Although an hour (i.e. K.S.’'s “cure” time) had passed at the time of my unpleasant discovery, VERY fortunately the Kwik-Steel did not adhere the two parts of the assembly together for some reason, and I easily pushed the mirror back into the 45-degree position. :relieved: Yet, despite my goof, I do seem to have made the issue a LOT better than it was before: the “collar” I fashioned supports the upper part of the mirror assembly firmly in place vertically and, just the slightest pressure with my hand and I can fold the assembly backwards to the door window for car washes and the like. It pretty much stays in the correct position unless I slam the door hard or a strong jet of water hits it. Amazingly, the mirror glass also no longer vibrates/shakes even while going down the road. :joy:

I’m not certain but I think the shells are the same for pre and post facelift cars.
Next chance I get I’ll see if that is correct.
If it is true I’ll send you one for the cost of shipping.