Signal as to why it will get harder to repair our car bodies and windshields

I did some “Tech-Ed” teaching with my physics stuff and during a presentation I suggested that our program might be of interest if someone wanted to train as a plumber. Many of the Geometry group laughed, as they no doubt thought they would fleet up to CEO somewhere and live in LA. This was a real event which was even more depressing because a “regular” Geometry class wasn’t exactly a stepping stone to a strict academic track. We were a reasonably popular team with positive reviews on our presentations and so forth, so I must presume it was the subject that seemed beneath them rather than a dislike of our methods and curriculum.
Our 29 year old son does his own work on his old BMW and helps with our car and home projects when he comes over, but body work? No dice, too unhealthy. If he picked a manual trade it would be carpentry, electrician or any work which was regular (snow belt makes some trades off and on), as he knows from my experience that auto repair is tougher on hands and body than many think. While inside, in this climate it is slushy, wet and dirty - he knows this and it’s a turn off since the rewards financially aren’t large enough.

Thanks but this is an insurance claim for a rock generated crack
$200 Cdn deductible so someone else will do it!
I suspect that glass and labour is well over $1000 Cdn these days
Dennis

Ben @Dagenham , do you know the names of these outfits? I picked up a big glass rock chip today that looks too much for an epoxy repair and I expect it will start to spread quickly, so it looks like there is a windscreen replacement in my near future.

You really know you’re in trouble when the “Mechanic” appears and asks “Where is the OBDII plug-in”?

Cheers,

Dick

Glen is the guy I’ve used a number of times in the past few years…he’s fantastic. But, the last time I tried to schedule him, he was hard to get hold of, as I understand his wife is having some health issues, and he’s limiting the amount of work he’s taking on.

So, try to get hold of him, and if you can’t, I’ll dig up the name of the other guy I used years ago.

Thanks!!!

It might help to tell him that you got his name from Dave Kealoha.

Dave is a friend of mine in the ‘car biz’…he has all the connections, and shares them freely on his favorite Porsche forum.

If Glen thinks that Dave sent you, he might be a little more willing to fit you in…maybe.

1 Like

As they say in my parts, boy howdy!

About 90% of all my ills are as a direct result of having been a mechanic for as long as I had been.

Falling off a mountain, riding dirt bikes, and a few other things might’ve had something to do with it, too!