SII Air Conditioning

Great, I will take your comments under advisement and wait till you conclude.

Hi Jay
I don’t think I can get any better pictures of the hose routing at this time with the bonnett on. As you look at the earlier pictures, you will see the condensor slightly off center to allow the outside edge of the top hose to run just inside the edge of the radiator. The bottom hose fitting has an extension to bring the edge of the hose to the edge of the radiator. Both hoses then cross into the engine bay above the radiator cross beam.
I had to do extensive work on the fiberglass interior box. The 1/4"dividers between the rotating vents were broken. I ended up cutting them out , then fabricated 1/4" strips of metal attached at the bottom end by an existing screw and a pop rivit at the top end. I then filled and shaped with fiberglass strands and resin back to original look. I used black VHT wrinkle paint, which gave it a nice finished look. I bought new rotatoing vents. When installing the vents be sure to add felt to the ends of the vents to keep the vents from rotating to easily. The felt is placed between the metal bracket and the rotating end of the vent.
Russ

Many thanks Russ, great information. I think I will have some fiberglass rebuild to do on my interior box so thanks for the information. Looking forward to hearing updates from those that have already bought the parts and working to get their AC back to working order. Good luck guys…

Jay
1969 XKE 2+2

I hope whoever crimped your hoses has the correct dies for A/C hoses & fittings. Otherwise they may fail. Hydraulic hose crimps and A/C hose crimps are different.

Just wondering if any of the folks that ordered the parts have managed to get around to installing everything and have it working yet. I am thinking it would be a good winter project as I am guessing it will take a few weekends to get everything sorted out. Would be interested in any information, gotcha’s and tips.

Thanks
Jay

Thought this might be interesting to anyone considering installing original a/c setup in a car that never had one. Since the a/c hose cowl in the tunnel was unavailable to me anywhere, I turned to Chuck at Monococque Metalworks (no affiliation), who quickly produced this exact replica. Today I temp positioned the evaporator in order to drill holes in the tunnel for the drain tubes. Tomorrow will rivet the cowl in place……

3 Likes

Nice. Let us know if you find a grommet for the oval hole.

John, that looks just like the factory original. Well done.

However my A/C was removed by a PO a long time ago and I’m trying to find a factory set up to install.

Andy S2 FHC

Fortunately, George Camp is my neighbor, friend, and advisor…and he magically produced the grommet from a box in his garage. He crimped fittings on new hoses for me as well. This project could not have come this far without his expertise.

Thanks Andy and thanks for the picture - I have been working so far from diagrams only, found in the S2 Air Conditioning Service manual - which I got from the Coventry Foundation -

You were fortunate to find one.

John, that looks like a good book to have. I’ve just ordered one from XKEBooks.com. Maybe one day soon I’ll find a factory evaporator to install.

Thanks Andy

As my original A/C install progresses (in a 71 S2 OTS that never had A/C) I’ve identified two remaining parts to source. One is the reverse operating fan for the A/C alternator, and the other is the A/C relay bracket that extends below the fan relay bracket on the picture frame. I’m hoping someone out there who pulled their system has these on a shelf for sale- or can point me to a source.
Many thanks to all for your help!

I bought the bracket from XKs Unlinited :

https://xks.com/search.html?q=co+28134

Your local alternator shop should have the fan you need. If not you can use a unidirectional fan. If all that fails try CoolCat Express. Fans are discussed about half way down on this page.

Hi Russ,

Many thanks for your post.

Hope you don’t mind returning to this subject, but I have two quick questions.

First, where does one source the 2”, 90 degree extension at the bottom of the condenser? Second, can you tell me the new belt size for the new Sanden/bracket configuration? I believe reading that it changes somewhat, and I reckon it is a good time to replace all belts anyway.

Thank you,
Skip (‘68 S1.5, 2+2)

Mitch
The belt number on mine is 17360. The fitting was fabricated at my local “Tubes n Hoses” store. It cost about $35.00. Any hydralic hose shop could probably make it if you don’t have this shop in your local area. I mounted the condensor then carefully measured the distance to the radiator bracket. You want this hose to sit very close to the bracket to give clearance for the bonnet to close and not interfere with this hose. Hope that helps.
Air conditioner has been worrking great. Here is something else you may consider doing. The design of the A/C unit puts most of the air on the passenger side. I carefully cut a hole below the switches, added a small squirrel cage computer fan, fabricated a box and vent to push air to the driver side. I wired into the wire for the three speed fan, so it also has three speeds.I find now that I can run the A/C on the low speed, keeping the noise level lower.
Russ

sorry Skip, put the wrong name on my post.

Hondas rotate anti clockwise.

My alternator guy in town ordered a Lucas neutral blade fan, made for a tractor generator, that fit the Lucas alternator well.
Waiting for nice weather to fit triple water pump pulley and jockey pulley, and test operation.

1 Like

Tractor parts on a Jaguar: man after me own heart!!!

1 Like