SII fog lights installation pt. 3 - installation

Hallo everybody,

this is the final part of this write-up and the follow-up to https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/sii-fog-lights-installation-pt-1-switch/370366.

It is much shorter than the last part, mostly because I cannot document the installation of original Cibié 35 fog lights. I sourced a pair of period Hellas of a similar size, with horizontal sub-bumper mountings and with nice chrome housings. They only needed some cleaning and the fitting of new wires. Though it was some piece of work as I had underestimated the friction building up over a certain length of wires I pulled both wires for each fog light through another tube to make it more sightly.

I spliced the ground wire out of the tubing early to use the original ground, but took both power wires to the left side of the car where I connected them and took them to pin 85 of the fog light relay.

The hood hinges have horizontal plates with large holes and are foreseen to carry the fog lights.

Original Cibié 35 fog lights will fit directly. The Hellas seemed bulkier and the mounting bracket wouldn’t reach the opening of the hood hinge. So I had to fabricate a bracket that took the lights lower (approx. 1.5 cm) and further forward (approx. 3 cm). First test rides showed that the brackets, even though from 2 mm steel, tend to vibrate, so I need to keep my eyes open for heftier parts.

The result is quite nice though (sorry for the poor pic):

You can see the low and wide line produced by the fog lights. Maybe it is too low and I have to readjust.
Nebelscheinwerfer 023

All in all, I’m quite happy with the result and the way this extra blends with the rest of the (pretty much original) car. If you happen to run into good original Cibié 35 fog lights, you might wish to treat your car to this upgrade …

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like