SIII Driveline Angles

Steve…bolt on or splined hub alloy wheels…would still check out how yours should be balanced. …this is the most common reason for vibration…Steve

Butt. Seems to come from the center of the floor area(this is a 2+2). Clutch in, still there, slightly diminished. Seems to be speed related, not RPM. No difference at 80 mph using either 4th or 5th(overdrive). All this is what leads me to believe it has something to do with the drive train. Yes, it is audible though not that much over the wind noise and the fact that the sport exhaust system is really straight through.

Your questions are not repeats. I should have mentioned these things earlier, so thanks for bringing up these points. This is what I love about J-L, the more opinions and points of view, the better. Just gathering thoughts right now as it will be some time before I can get back to testing.

Steve

Steve, your logic sounds good.

Maybe a couple other things to look at while you are under the car checking the prop shaft angles.
Get a close inspection of each of the four cups that hold the 2 u-joint into the yokes and make sure that they are all pressed in the same.
If you can jiggle the output shaft on the transmission. Google turns up a few complaints of transmission output slop.
Maybe a use a dial indicator to get a quick run out reading on each end of the prop shaft.
Best wishes, Tom

Good suggestions, especially on the runout. The U-Joints are all new and were properly assembled by yours truly when putting this together but I’ll take a closer look at them when I get under there. The JT5 uses a slip yoke into the trans and as I recall, it was a pretty good fit without slop. I don’t think it would have worn much in the few hundred or so miles I’ve put on it.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve

This is what the 5x spacers look like

The average thickness of the 5 spacers = 0.2818 (between 9/19" and 19/32")
The average thickness of the 5 oval washers = 0.100" (abt 3/32")
The average thickness of the 5 lock washers = 0.0836" (abt 3/32")

So 19+3+3 = 25/32 is about 3/4" thickness

Thanks Craig. The thickness doesn’t really seem to be that much different from the ones I have, IIRC, although the diameter on mine is about equal to the length of the oval washers. I’ll know better next time I can get under there and pull one for comparison.

9/19" ?? Really? :open_mouth:

Wait a minute! You say 0.2818, or just over 1/4, but 19/32 would be over 1/2. So, which is it? Mine are probably between 1/4 and 3/8 of an inch.

Note to self: Let what you’ve just read sink in before replying.

Hi Steve,
The whole transmission mount system for the Jaguar Manual Gearbox and the BW Auto is different, including the spring; the variations are for the different mass. The transmission floats on the spring and is dampered by the cotton real rubber bush.The JT5 Gearbox will most likely be different in mass to both the Jag Manual and the BW Austo, so you will probably have to experiment.

With regards to the spacers for the front engine mounts, they are, as I suggested in an earlier Post, for adjusting the fit of the flexible component of the assembly. It’s axis is in an oblique plane with no slotting of the mounts to accommodate misalignment. Accordingly, the spacers are to take up the gap between the flexible mount and the face of the bracket. Therefore, once right, you can’t be adding or subtracting spacers to change the drive line angle of the engine and gearbox assembly.

I mentioned that the overall length of the Jaguar Gearbox and BW Auto assembly with their respective Bell Housings are for all intensive purposes the same. I haven’t measured the length of the T5 assembly, but any substantial different in length compared to the standard Jaguar equipment will change the drive line angle.

If you really want to know what the drive line angle is and you can get your hands on any model of the Salisbury differential used in the Jaguar, the angle on the top of the diff housing, where its secured to the IRS Cage, is the angle. The top surface of the IRS Cage for the E Type is in the horizontal plane. This surface, where the differential mounts, is varied in some other Jaguar models to vary the drive line angle of the differential.

Brent

This photo may help…its an E type diff and mount brackets on the E type irs base plate…you should be able to work out angles…Steve

It also should be mentioned that no drive shaft with cross U joints should run in a direct straight line: there needs to be some offset of the shaft so that the needle rollers will circulate in their individual cups.

The most important thing is that the faces of the drive and driven flange be at the same included angle.

1 Like

Excellent picture. One can easily see that there is an upward pinion angle. How much I can only guess.

Thanks,
Steve

Sorry for the double error; the above is my original posting
What is posted as “5 spacers = 0.2818” should be “0.5818” (fat-fingered the 2-5 on the number key pad)
What is posted as (between 9/19" and 19/32") should be (between 9/16" and 19/32") (fat-fingered the 6-9 on the number key pad)

Sorry for the confusion

Exactamundo! This is what I am aiming for.

Thank you,
Steve

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification, Craig. It all makes sense now. Your spacers are about twice the thickness of those on the auto setup. Looks like I will have to increase the thickness of my spacers to achieve more of a downward angle on the trans to match that of the diff pinion.

Thanks again,
Steve

1 Like