Silicon vs. "Regular" Hoses

Brings up a related question - what about those “flexible” radiator (main) hoses that are out there for the XJS? I’m thinking might be a good idea for the top hoses, so that they can be “pushed” out of the way as necessary to access other things in that tight space, e.g. the power steering pump (for level checks, topping up, etc.). :thinking:

I avoid them…for the same reason that’s been given for as long as I can remember: they’re always under tension, which strains the radiator neck…as would manually pushing against any radiator hose.

Cheers
DD

Gee, the few times I’ve resorted to flex hoses, it’s been to reduce the strain on the radiator neck! If it’s under tension, your hose is too short.

I don’t see much point to flex hoses for the uppers on the Jaguar V12, but I do recommend a flex hose for the lower. Flex hoses cannot suck flat, while the OEM molded hose can – and becomes more likely to as the radiator gets plugged up, exacerbating the overheating issues. The lower hose on the Jag V12 in the XJ-S calls for a hose that has a built-in 90 degree elbow at one end. The elbow goes at the radiator outlet, turning the hose straight down. The flexible portion of the hose loops under everything and comes back upward to connect to the bottom of the pump inlet elbow.

What problem are we really trying to solve with silicone hoses? The ones that came with the car lasted at least 20 years. I took an opportunity to replace all the hoses, and I won’t have to do it again for at least five, probably ten years.

They are a known quality standard. Easy to spot when failing…except for the #$%&#$& hose.

Not sure why anyone would want to move to a different product when the common, cheaper solution works well.

1 Like

Stickers!! New and zoomy! Mental dyno!!!

:grimacing:

Silicone can handle the heat (yes, rubber can too, but not as long). For my turbo cars, it’s a must. The other nice thing, and I think a main selling point: COLOR

SO many vacuum hoses on my 88 V12. Now it’s a symphony of blue lines under my hood!

My car has its original hoses and they are still in perfect condition.

34 years later??? :open_mouth: Are you SURE they are original (i.e. have you owned the car since new)? How many miles does your car have on it? :confused:

Well, this was my father in law’s car, he got it in 1997 and I got it from him in 2005, and now has about 145.000 Km
I know for sure I haven’t changed them and I’m pretty sure he didn’t either.
Have all the receipts and service records from new, albeit there is a period of five years missing.

I have used silicone coolant hoses on my XJ-S.
The pros: Easy to clean. Flexible and usually has a fiber reinforcement. Was able to get in pink(does not apply to many of you)
The Cons: Surprisingly not as durable as you would think. Requires more expensive hose clamps as the conventional worm clamps tend to dig into them and weaken.
The only exception I can think of is an old police car I had bought about 5 years ago. It was a 94 Chevy Caprice ex Delaware state patrol car. It had silicone coolant hoses which were manufactured extremely well. They will probably outlast the car.
The Chinese silicone hoses are a much lesser quality hose.
If you don’t care about color, stick with the conventional rubber gates coolant hoses.

Lemme get this straight: You were able to buy a set of hoses designed specifically for the XJ-S in pink? I wonder how many sets that manufacturer sold.

There may be many, many James Loves out there.

:grimacing:

There was no time or expense spared ahaha

1 Like

Aristides,
I would not feel confident driving any of our Jaguars with coolant hoses that received well over 20 years old of use. If I were you I would remove and replace them now knowing that I got a full life out of them before one of them fails at the worst possible moment.

Paul

1 Like

Now you’re scaring me…

:smiley:

1 Like

It almost looks like a birthday cake in an engine compartment, or something - just add some candles on top :birthday::open_mouth: thanks for the info, btw, Lover … Yes, that same supplier in China makes them in I think like 6 different colors - all the same price for the set of 15 (around $117.00 or so, including shipping). :rainbow:

Well, I just checked the vendor again and, specifically for XJS, they make them in just black, bright (“electric”) blue, and bright (“blood”) red. For other makes, they also have them in bright green and bright yellow. I didn’t see any pink ones, though, so those must be a JamesLove Special … :smile: I have to wonder if there might be some “tactical” advantage in using some of the three colors for certain of the hoses in the system, e.g. black for the heater hoses, blue for the main radiator hoses, and red for the “rest” Possibly a quick way to spot a certain hose or tell which one is the one that is leaking, as needed? :thinking:

1 Like

To be honest, I wanted lime green coolant hoses. It bothered me but it would have been dumb for me to do so because if there were ever a leak I would never find it!
In the end I “settled” for hot pink.
But the transmission ended up lime green…

Pretty sure I have seen and changed more V12 Jag injection hoses than any one I can think of. Definitely the number is north of 5,000. In my opinion, it is ludicrous to think any hose will last for 20+ years. Regardless of mileage, storage conditions, etc. The V12s built in the 80s are now 30+ years old. The tell for me is to bend a hose at a 90 degree angle and look for cracking in the hose wall. If you see cracking…change it. Even if you would bet your last dollar that your 20-30 + year old hose is fine, that is likewise ridiculous. Does anyone drive around on 20-30 year old tire rubber ? Or how about the a/c hoses ? Anyone out there who has not replaced them after 20 years ? Or coolant hose…same question ? Any body seen a rubber vacuum hose that did not require changing after 30 years ? Dang near every car owner will change spark plugs on a somewhat frequent basis yet ignore hoses. I don’t get it. SD Faircloth

2 Likes

Ditto: this may be related to the psychosis of, “Yes, my tires are 10/20/30 years old, but they look fine.”

1 Like

Do you feel any differently about silicone hose?