Silver Op Blue with red interior?

Hi,

I have a '64 Silver Op Blue Jaguar OTS and it currently has a dark blue interior. Someone I met at a show recently told me that they had seen my car with a red interior and how really sharp it looked. I’ll be honest, I absolutely love the blue color on this car. It literally dances in the sun and is striking, but I’m not as crazy about the interior color. The dark blue just kind of fades away. I’ve always favored the lighter colored interiors on E’s, especially biscuit, but red might be a unique option.

It’s not as final as changing the exterior color, but it is a significant investment ($10k) to change out all of the interior.

Does anyone have any pics of a Silver Blue Jag with red interior? I haven’t been able to find one on the forum. Thoughts, opinions?

Don

It’s not a silver blue car, but here’s my 1964 OTS with a proper red interior installed by Muncie Imports and Classics:

Alan
N.J.

Hi Don,
I’ve seen it on a couple of early cars with alloy dashes. It’s not to everyones taste, but I find it striking. My old '61 FF coupe came from the factory in cotswold blue with ox blood red interior.
Your '64 doesn’t have an alloy dash so it won’t look the same IMO as the silver alum provides a nice transition from the red to the black.
I do have a photo of an OSB '62 fhc somewhere…

Here’s one in the combo you’re considering:

https://www.classicandsportscar.com/classifieds/classic-cars/jaguar/e-type/jaguar-e-type-v12-roadster/8064028

Mmmmm! Now THAT sounds inviting

Jeff:

My interior is blood red, not hot pink, so it’s definitely the photo. The interior kit came from OSJI, formerly G.W. Bartlett Co., and is period correct.

And I really can’t tell you what the interior itself cost since it was part of a 16-month nut & bolt restoration.

Alan
N.J.

Though the camera can deceive, particularly on reds, it’s certainly true that all red interiors are not created equal. I’ve seen red interiors in blue cars (Cotswold Blue is my favourite) that are absolutely the best combo I’ve ever seen, with a rich glossy red, and other cars where the red is muted, almost washed out, and not particularly attractive to my eye. Both examples were newly installed, but very different. Some of this may be to do with how the leather is treated. If I were to embark on a new interior in red, I would be getting a good sized sample of the leather, vinyl, and carpet from several vendors to make sure I was getting what I expected. The same probably applies for all colours, but particularly important for red in my view.

2 Likes

Don,
I completely forgot that I looked at this outside locker in Philadelphia a few months ago for a friend in the UK
Very nicely done.

2 Likes

A little research on XKE Data shows that of the left hand drive Series 1 OTS cars listed 3% have a red interior, 4% grey, 26% black and 67% dark blue. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the clear favorite is dark blue. Most owners also seem to choose a dark interior color with a light exterior and a light interior color with a dark exterior. As the cars’ owner your vote is the only one that counts, but I don’t think you can beat dark blue on an OSB car.

Hmmm… I think those numbers show dark blue is the most common. I’m not sure that means it’s the clear favorite. Two very different concepts.

where? I was quoted 10k and the inside is now naked

Alan is the piping a different color, I can’t tell on my screen

yeh, bad…plus 20

1 Like

It is a striking combo. I have owned two blue/red cars of interest (Porsche 356 was my favorite). When I was 1st introduced to the combo I thought “who would have ordered that combo when new?” then I figured it out & have admired it since.

It will become one of your favorite combinations if you proceed.

I’m definitely not one for red interiors but this car is stunning !

Is it a red or burgundy ?

Mark, It’s the deep red which I have heard referred to as ox blood red.
Same shade as both of my early cars.
BAS sent me swatches and their red was a very close match.

Everything works well and makes a gorgeous combination.

image [quote=“BillJag, post:15, topic:386916, full:true”]
Alan is the piping a different color, I can’t tell on my screen
[/quote]

Nope…the piping is the same color.

Alan

1 Like

Yep, blue w/red does seem to be a “thing” in Porsche-land. As others have alluded to, it all comes down to the shades of each. When done well, it can be very striking…here’s one that seemed to work well for a few people, as the car sold for $500k

^ the key is to get the proper shade of red.