Simple question -- good-value tire for XJ6 Ser. III?

Need to replace tires. I want a reasonably-priced, all-season/touring tire. Will keep original size. It will be driven in sun and rain. Will be used for highway travel at Interstate-highway speeds. Obviously the tires should not be noisy. What brands & models do list members recommend, based on their experience. Also, what are good sources. I live in the Portland, OR area.

I have used and have been pleased with the General AltiMax 43.
Good luck

Chuck Welch

I use Bridgestone ‘Ecopia’ tires,21570R15, ‘H’ rated, but as I do not intend to exceed speeds over 100 MPH not a deal killer.
. They are smooth and quiet, and as a bonus, deliver better ‘miles per gallon’ figures as well. If you live near a ‘Costco’, these tires come up for sale often, and are good value for the money.

Mel R.

BF Goodrich Advantage T/A Sport (215 /70 R15 98T) on mine. Got them last year at Discount Tire in Tigard. $105 each installed. Balancing weights on the inside. Subtle design. Very quiet. Little pricier, but I try to buy “Made in USA” as much as possible.

I have been very happy with the set of Falken tires I bought a year ago. Stock size.

Jeff H.

I’ve been putting Uniroyal Tiger Paws on all my customers cars (have a great mobile tire guy I use that comes to the shop), and they are well priced, handle nicely / aren’t too stiff and good in the rain.

1 Like

Have you considered changing the size to 215/65-15…?
I’m very happy with them.

Bridgestone Ecopia from Costco

1 Like

@Aristides , in changing your tyres from 70 to 65, did you change the tyre pressure? What have you found to be optimum?

I think that Jaguar focused on comfort so the recommended pressures are on the low side.
Also today’s tyres, or at least the ones I’ve tried, seam to have softer sidewalls and was experiencing more wear at the edges than at the center.
I do 38 PSI / 2.5 bar front and rear, kind of on the high side, a bit more feedback from the road, but handling is crispier.

2 Likes

OK, good guidance. I think I’ll start out at the 36 psi I was using before and then compare 38. If there’s no significant increase in noise and harshness, I’ll go with the higher pressure.

Thanks

Exactly my choice as well, though on 205/70 and under the lighter SII 6 cyl car. Happy with comfort and allowing for spirited cornering whenever I feel like it!

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

1 Like

I was looking at this a while ago and ended up getting pretty inexpensive tires for it. I do not have anything to compare them to but I feel so far they feel pretty nice. before I put them on I noticed they are very soft. Much softer than the Pirellis I had lying around from my daily. Got them on sale for 200 for all 4.

215/65 R15 96H 4PR BSW Nexen N blue HD Plus

Just picked up Nordman Solstice All Weathers for $149cdn.
Went 215/70/15 and they look a tad chunky but they are so far good in the snow and ride nicely.

Good information! My XJwuzza six runs again. But, the tires seem a bit low. time to fire up one of my comptrddord snd sir up.

i was going to check the manual for pressures. i recal;l it says me thng abut dofferent numbers for front and rear.?

38 PSI sounds a bit high?

Thanks

I’ve run that high but while it corners better it feels very unrefined. Louder and you feel all the bumps. I usually run with higher pressure but for the XJ I went back to what the book says.

Just try it out, Carl - in fact the book (my SII OM) has quite sophisticated recommendations depending on number of passengers, luggage and speed.

Now, as I - probably like most of us - don’t make a routine of calculating loads on wheels for each trip I tend to go on the high side (also benefitting from a safety zone after extended periods of non-use) and trade-off the (limited) edge on comfort.

All that being said I’m fairly sure that the final result will be affected by the age, construction and size of the tire more than of 2 lbs difference in air pressure.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

I run 32psi in our XJ6. Seems a good compromise between edge wear, ride and handling. This for 205/70/15 tyres.

1 Like

38 psi is definitely on the high side, Carl - harsh ride and likely more wear in the middle of the tyres than the edges…

As others say, trial and error from 32 psi - with 2 psi more at the rear for better stability? But all tyres are not created equal. There are some differences in manufacturers priorities, quality/price - though few, if any, are actually bad.

That said, tyre manufacturers tend to recommend pressures that’s good for the tyres - while car manufacturers tends toward comfort…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

I had a 78 xj6 for 15 years and all on michilan tires and really
liked them even in snow.
Walter