Size of crankshaft bolt 3.8 MK2 same as 4.2?

Hi, I just wanted to confirm that the size of the harmonic balancer crank bolt on a 1961 3.8 MK 2 is 1-5/16" like the 4.2’s

I’m helping a friend adjust cam follower clearance on his 3.8 tomorrow and I wanna make sure I bring the right size tool.

~Mike

Sure this is correct - recall only using the 1"15/16 on 3.4, 3.8 and 4.2. Just for turning engine? Paul

One and 5/16, or 33 mm.

For those in the States, O’Reilly auto parts sells and also rents this socket which would save money for a tool that is only used twice in ones’ lifetime!

Gerard

Thanks all,

Yes @Breen60 - just for turning the engine. I figured they were all the same but wanted to make sure so I don’t have to carry extra stuff over there.

~Mike

Use it much more than that, well worth owning, rather than drive back & forth to shop

3/4" Whitworth is the original correct size, and I have a several old spanners and sockets that cost me $1 each. One cranked ring spanner is cut in half by me, and fits right in there. Worth keeping an eye out at market or old tool sales

1-5/16" is a 3/4" drive size normally, Its handy to have 3/4" drive gear for heavy work, but being that bit bigger, is bit harder to fit the socket and ratchet in the limited space

Meant to put 1 5/16". Sorry for confusion.