[Slight OT] My E-Type has a new brother

My father has owned his 1964 R1 powered GT Hawk for about 20 years.

After a mechanical restoration, his health was declining and he parked the car. That was 10+ years ago.

I had the car transported to a shop local to me and we are going to get her running again and looking great.

My idea was to do this and turn her back over to my dad to enjoy. However, he can’t really drive anymore and will be transferring the car to me.

So I plan to drive it to him and take him in a few great rides.

Today, after 3 months of service the car is home with me. Full detail happens next week. Car still has some items in need of overhaul but I need to put miles on her before we address those.

image image image image image image

4 Likes

Sad circumstances, but a milestone car, and one of the few Loewy designs that really worked.

Glad it’ll be in such good hands.

1 Like

Pretty eclectic collection you have there!

Not enough garage space, though. Things are bad when you have to leave a couple of nice Jags out in the weather.

I have an off site garage spot rental. The XJ and Ford are the only ones usually outside. Wish I could get a stack lift but the garage has a beam :frowning:

1 Like

One of the few cars my wife would possibly allow me to add to the stable. We both grew up in South Bend and both her dad and granddad worked for Studebaker.

2 Likes

Beautiful car, David. Enjoy it.

1 Like

David;
Get in the car, the GT hawk that ‘was’ your dad’s, and take a trip or two. You will not regret it at all.
My dad owned a 70 2+2 and after he had a couple of strokes he and I got in the car and took some trips. We had a great time traveling and he was able to enjoy himself a great deal.
Your time will be well spent.

Regards, Joel.

4 Likes

I really like those '50-'60’s Studebaker Hawks styling and size-wise. They also seem would be better handling compared to most other American cars of that time but I have never driven one. I would be interested in hearing how you think it handles.

David
68 E-type FHC

My first car was a '54 Studebaker coupe, a beautiful car and well ahead of it’s time. still miss it…

LLoyd

Don't you just hate those who live in the US for ten years and never bother to learn the language?

I think no one should graduate from grade school without learning either Cherokee, Apache, Ute or Arapaho.

LLoyd July, 2014

Thanks all. There really seems to be a lot of love for Studebaker in many circles.

Things I have done to the car:
New wheels
New Tires
Carb Rebuild
New fuel pump and fuel filter
New master cylinder
New water pump
New fuel and coolant lines
Full fluid service
Full showroom detail in/out with ceramic coating is happening next week.

Things on the punch list:
Power steering leak
Transmission leak
Some engine oil weeping
Hood cable seized
We wanted to put some miles on the car before we deep dive into those for various reasons.

Regarding driving it, the car handles very well. Surprisingly nimble and quick. Easy to keep up and pass in modern traffic. It is a 289. It has the factory automatic transmission which I think is the related to the E-Types (it’s a BW 4-Speed) and shifting is pretty graceful. Brakes are pretty solid with a lot or grab (2 wheel disc). The car corners well but it has that legendary American floaty steering. A nice +/- 30 degree steering wheel sway while tracking straight :wink:

A few better pics while I await the detail:

1 Like

Are the blue stripes on the tires really blue, or are they white with the blue not having been washed off yet?

That’s the protective coat that washes off (but she’s not had a proper bath yet).

Take that to tell olde local C&C, and you’ll be a popular guy!

If we’re ever ALLOWED to go to C&Cs again…:confused:

2 day professional detail is done. Interior was steam cleaned and sanitized to get rid of mildew and a few dead mice (yuck). Car came out really well.

4 Likes