Slight scrape on undercarraige

If anyone heard crying, that was me this weekend, as I heard and felt the front of the MK2 bottom out twice on a dirt road. here were two switch backs that had unexpected and unseen ruts ground out of the dirt and we kissed the ground what sounded horrible,

I did a cursory inspection and will post a video later this week when I put the car up on a friends lift. The entire front end of my car was rebuilt and powder-coated so nicely you could eat off of the unit.

It looks like the bottom of the a arms which hold the springs got scratched on both sides. I am concerned about the front square sub frame bushings as they don’t look equally placed from one side to the other.

The car steers perfectly straight, I did not hit the radiator and we maintained oil pressure which should be a good sign of not cracking the pan.

This was an eleven mile ONE WAY road so I consider myself lucky that I did not have to call in a tow truck. The summit was at 11,200 feet and we started to get the ethanol in the fuel boiling causing some bucking and almost an overheating problem.

Just another Jag adventure!!

Stayed tuned for the video.

Also suggestion welcome for any particular damage I should look for are certainly welcome.

Gerard
Loveland, Colorado

This is what 95% of the road looked like:

Car clubs dread this kind of terrain in my experience.

Gerard

Here are two videos of the powder coated front end of my 1966 MK2 and the damage appears very minimal. I am curious if the front sub frame mounts are positioned correctly. There is a slight difference from left to right in how they are positioned.

I am thinking of painting over the scrapes with a chassis black paint to stop rust.

Gerard

Hello,

It looks like the front subframe mounts need to be replaced looks like the rubber is seperated from the metal. I had to replace them again after 10 Years ( 15000Km ).

Regards,
Peter Jan ( s-type 1967 )

I will certainly put the car back on the lift and have a look at those mounts.
Thanks,

Gerard

Did any one else come to this conclusion about the front sub frame mounts. They are not that hard to replace and easy on the wallet.

Gerard

The one on the right (looking at the front of the car) looks like it failing. I can’t see the other one. I have in 10 years replaced these twice. The suppliers tend to have two offerings. One ‘rubber’ the other metalastik. Choose the more expensive metalastik ones. I had the cheaper ones…hence need to replace twice.

I have seen poly versions of these mounts. Seems like a good idea but I have no experience of them. Strength of bond between the pad and the plates is key to avoid a potentially catastrophic failure :slight_smile:

Very easy to replace.

Dave

If it drives straight, you did no significant damage: that front end is extremely robust.

If you no go on 4WD roads, ya wont cry…:yum:

Dad found out, on the road to Caribou, E Types don’ do so well on rough roads…:joy:

So here it is over a month later and I ordered the POLY front sub-frame bushings on the advice of the SNG salesman. When I removed the one from the drivers side (LHD car) the back metal plate had delaminated form the rubber as noted by an astute observer of my video. This might be the cause of some clunking and squelching and I will see how she drives today.

Gerard