Slow starting 68 E Type

I have a coil but do have a pointless dizzy.

Colin, do you have a complete electronic ign?

Pertronix distributor, std coil. Ignition fires the moment the starter stops cranking.

Interesting. Mine too. It’ll take a few days before I can get to it, but I’m going to test for voltage at the coil/clean hot spark while cranking.

I remember the days (1970’s) when my '68 with triple SU’s would start first turn, even after winter storage. Not today even with an EDIS system. My '67 with Pertronix is the same. I was told it’s the current gasoline, and I use alcohol free gas. They fire immediately on starter fluid so I believe it’s a gas issue. I have no reason to believe there is a problem with vacuum or chokes etc. A PITA.

Starting just as you release the starter is a sign of low voltage at the coil made worse by the voltage drop caused by starting. My '68 was doing that (key start) and it was dirty or worn out contacts in the switch itself. After you’ve been driving for a half hour touch the ignition switch and see if it’s warm - that’s a bad sign.

Inserting a relay in the starting circuit seems to me to be a good idea, though I’ve never done it. . Here’s some instructions http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6885

Yes to what Terry says. My '68 ignition switch exhibited these symptoms several years ago and then suddenly fried one day in a store parking lot. Very scary with smoke pouring out of it and a mad dash to get the battery disconnected. Luckily just melted the wires that loop thru the tach but maybe I could have lost the car that day if I was not able to quickly get the battery disconnected.

David
68 E-type FHC

That scares me also. So much amperage running through the dash. I installed a remote battery cut off switch from painless industries, in the console just in case, and maybe a little more security. Just have to remember to shut it off or it will drain the battery.

Yeh a battery master switch is a good idea. Saved me from a serious alternator short and melt down (literally) a couple of years ago. I use one out of an Austin Healey. I attach one side to the steering bracket (drill a hole first) with a 1/8 inch steel strap that is double bolted to one of the terminals coming out of it. Then run a battery cable throu a hole in the upper left corner of the footwell closing panel throu an appropriate grommet then to the negative side of the battery. Installed it 20 plus years ago.