Smaller steering wheel

Well, drat. Different rail spacing, too, IIRC, so you can’t swap in the earlier seats.

Here are some photos as promised

3 Likes

…nyuk nyuk.

:grimacing:

May I please ask for some clarification.
There are a number of adaptors on eBay that seem to indicate Jaguar-Momo fitment.
One poster mentioned Momo 2201, but I see p/n 2202 and 2207 also given as possible for the XJS.

Do you or anyone else that has done this know the difference between these adaptors?
Difference between the early cars and the facelifts?

Mine used Momo 2201, I have an 88 with no air bag.

1 Like

Air bag or no, there is a different horn for early and late XJS
And potentially the splines.

Searching the archives for an hour (unintended consequence of the COVID-lockdown) seems to indicate that early adopters will do it, but it will be nice to hear more opinions:

After all, Chad Bolles posted the above in 2007, there must be more 1995s with Momo or other aftermarket steering wheels in 2020.

Found this on the JF. Reposting as this information might be relevant:

"So I was able to answer a few questions I had.

The JaguarSport wheel uses a standard MOMO 6-bolt mounting pattern, which is the same as Sparco and NRG.

Jaguar XJ6 (XJ40) 87-89: MOMO Part # 2202
Jaguar XJ6 (XJ40) 90-94: MOMO Part # 2207

I’d bet Jaguar has a special JaguarSport part number for both of those adapters, but I haven’t yet found any information on them.

Nick"

I’d love to tell you what part numbers I have for my installed XJ40 boss and what is in my JaguarSport parts catalog. But I’m stuck in the US and Virgin has just cancelled my flight back to the UK. From memory I think it was the earlier XJ40 boss but I had to do some surgery to get it to work with my facelift horn mechanism.

Greg, what are those gauges in the center dash where the trip computer should be? They give the interior a much sportier look!

How easy or difficult where they to install?

I got the idea from another forum member a few years ago. I removed the useless trip computer. Only small gauges will fit here (I think Equus 1 1/2" were the ones I found). They are electric. Middle one is oil pressure, left/right is B/A bank coolant. I made a plate out of aluminum and painted black, cutting out holes for the gauges. Not too much work.

The wiring was the big job, getting them from the engine bay to behind the dash. I had instrument cluster removed so I could get them over to the gauges.

Also, on my 88, I was lucky enough to ‘borrow’ some places to put temp senders on the coolant rails. A bank, I removed Smog Pump temp sender. On B bank, I removed a temp sender for the charcoal canister.

So, a lot of bits of different work, but in the end, I really like knowing EXACTLY what my oil pressure and coolant temps are.

That member may have been @BobPhx

I’d love to see his webpage ( GoFlyRC.com - 1989 Jaguar XJS Coupe ) updated with the manual conversion stuff

Hey Steve @sbobev - yes, that pic is of my dash :). A bit of info on the gauge install is at the bottom of this page: GoFlyRC.com - 1989 Jaguar XJS Coupe
My website is so old (Front Page) that it needs a do-over. I need to find a kid who wants to make some summer cash and turn it over to them, I am too busy!
The 5 speed is still a long work in progress. Phase 1 was swapping the rear gears from 2.88 to 3:54. I rebuilt everything while I had the subframe out. I did not take many pics as that job has been documented numerous times. Phase 1.5 was to send my spare ECU to Bywater for the super-enhanced mods + the removal of idle fuel cutoff. Phase 2 was the installation of the pedal box and converting from Teves III to vac boosted brakes. There is a thread here on the site about that one.
Phase 3 will be transmission, clutch, hydraulic t/o bearing, and the associated interior and console work. I was going to buy a new T5, and still might, however Tremec just released a new 5 speed that is also a possibility. I need to investigate that one a bit. Phase 2.5 or 3.5 will be converting the speedo to GPS as I gave up my diff-sensor by going to an older rear center section. I’ll document all of that.
Phase someday will be having the original diff re-geared and putting it back in. If I run out of other things to do. :slight_smile:
Regards
Bob

My trip computer works/ Sorta!!! clock fine., other data skewed by V8 pulses!!!

At one time I “dreamed” of swapping the trip computer and radio locations. more intuitive to tune.

Now. it is OK!!! Radio works, ignore the trip computer.

Carl

1 Like

I have a nardi wood wheel I ordered a nardi red leather wheel (still waiting for it to arrive from Italy via mr steering wheel). I’m just hoping the hub adapter from the old one works. I wanted a thicker wheel than the wood just my thought.

Italvolanti makes a couple great steering wheels for these cars. I think it is important to note that anything smaller than 360mm looks too small for the car. 360mm is about 1" smaller than stock and looks perfect. I have the leather Corsa with wood veneer on the center section of the wheel which I veneered with the same wood as the rest of the car so it looks completely stock, but so much better. There are several choices for the wheel hub, Any 6 hole 1975-1990 XJS model should work.

Hello Martin - would you post a picture of your steering wheel - thanks, Tex.

The wheel in our XJS is a 15" Momo and the car also has a Momo shifter knob

steering wheel jag

1 Like

I notice the cup holders.

Are they attached through with screws, or are they hooked into the ashtry holder openings?

I’m thinking of making some with a bottom which fits into the ashtray holders, yet allow for a setback clearance to access the controls they might block.

I installed those cup holders when we first got the car in the mid 90s. I removed the ash trays and placed over sized black plastic panels under the openings then screwed through the bottom of the cup holders into the plastic panels and that holds everything in place…works good!

Basically what I had in mind but much simpler to do.

I like that simplicity over what I was planning!

However, I may combine the two. Instead of an intricate single bottom piece for each cup holder, a piece which fits into the ashtray holders with cup holder simply attached to that with screws.

That will allow it to be pulled out/put in like the ashtray is.

1 Like