Smooth oil pan question

I have a 3.8 in a 67 e-type. the block has 62 above dipstick and smooth oil pan. is this oil pan worth any extra $$ because of rareity?? any ideas??

Hello Wayne,
I would say by no means rare, but probably an After Market unit and therefore, worth less than what one could purchase a new After Market part for. .

Regards,

Bill

Wayne,
Today a 3.8 engine is worth more than a 4.2ā€¦quite a bit more. Due to rarity.

Hello Mitch,
I think Wayne is inquiring about the value of the Oil Pan and not the whole engine. At least, thatā€™s the way I comprehend his question. Iā€™m fairly sure that the 3.8 Sump is ribbed and After Market units are smooth.

Regards,

Bill

The 3.8 smooth pans were used for about 2 years then went to ribbed pans. The 4.2 used ribbed pans only, but were for 4.2 blocks only up until the end of the 6 cyl. around 1971. The early 3.8 smooth pans are worth about 2 to 3 times the later 3.8 ribbed pans. Iā€™d say if you wanted to replace your 3.8 engine for a 4.2, youā€™re in the driverā€™s seat for an exchange. And if the original very early carbs and manifold are on the 3.8, well, letā€™s just say you were a wise investor when you bought that car with the non-matching engine.

Phil.

Yes, to the person chasing originality (yuk) a true '62 set up is fairly valuableā€¦tho it may take some time to find the buyerā€¦

The difference twixt the early EType sump (smooth) and the later(ribbed))sump, is the rear sump seal arrangement, be the seal cork or rubber. The groove for the seal is in the rear crank oil return housing ( early )and in the sump (late).
I guess the aftermarket sump has the groove for the seal as per the later ribbed sump.
Peter B.

I have both a smooth oil pan and the short throttle shaft for an early 3.8.

Neither part is going into my ā€˜66 so if anyone needs one or both please contact me off-thread.

Thanks - Ron

My '63 E had a smooth pan. It was factory: it was a Nov. 62 manufacture date.

As above smooth sumps are correct for earlier 3.8s and of value.

Try buying one for under $1k.

Hello Andrew,
Up to when would you define as early?

Regards,

Bill

thanks so much for all the input. I have this 67 coupe that I am going to sell- syncro trans , non # matching engine 3.8 , much rust!! . I have owned for 30 years. didnā€™t want to give it away if engine/ pan has extra value. thanks, wayne

The book by Mueller & Haddock states that they were unable to determine exactly when the factory switched from smooth alloy sumps to ribbed, but they believed it was around engine number R7500, which would put it around September 1962 car build date.

Photos show the upper part of a ā€˜51 CType sump and a XJ sump . The rear seal arrangement is the same variation as the early / late EType
The top half of the oil return housing seem to be the same part number for both early / late sumps C19649,
but the bottom half changes from
C19650 to. C19688, this oil return change was also made on the MK2 with the change from steel to aluminum sump. If the change in part number of the bottom half of the oil return housing happens at R7500 it confirms the sump change point, late ā€˜62 Iā€™d guess.
The difference in the early / late sump was discussed a year or so ago,
I think the thread is ā€œ Change from 3.8 to 4.2 sumpā€.
Peter B.

2 Likes

Hello David,
I have barn find car in at work, and without doubt, totally original, currently awaiting the start of restoration, that has a build date of 29 May 1962, engine number R5674 and it has a ribbed sump.

Regards,

Bill

My coupe is an October build 1962, my friend has a September build 1962. Identical cars and both have smooth stumps. Paul

Apparently worth $22K if thereā€™s an engine attached, sheesh

You wouldnā€™t want to close the bonnet onto that show pony oil cap.

It creates itā€™s own secondary power bulge.

2 Likes

Wonder where the chassis wentā€¦