SNG Gear Reduction Starter

Hi Folks,

I’m planning to replace my old starter on my 67 2+2. I’ve read many of the threads and realize the difficulty. One of the problems mentioned was the lack of threads on the starter plate of the new starters.
I was just looking at SNG and they now have a reduction starter that has threads on the starter plate and includes the 2 bolts. I’m assuming this will make the job easier. I have the access plate on the transmission tunnel to access the bolts on the old starter.

Do you think this will ease the difficulty of replacement. I realize much equipment needs to be removed: mud guard, vacuum tank, maybe the stone guard etc.

Gary

Gary
Replaced my starter years ago and the replacement GR unit had threads.
The biggest challenge was getting the old monster out of there, I do have a series ll.
I also had to lengthen the cable because the original would not reach. It starts so fast
that you do not notice the sound of the GR starter.
Glenn

Agreed after the hernia removing the old unit
The new one is wonderful!

1 Like

So I’m with Gary, do you all think it is a great idea to replace the starter with a gear reduction? Which one would be the top choice? In my case, much of the engine bay components are out, interior is out, and I’m switching to negative ground. Should I do it now or wait until I get it running?

Do it now, while everything is out

GTJOEY1314

Granted that I have not had to change a starter yet but I think I might miss the somewhat unique sound of the original monster. Would be kinda like giving up the unique sound of those 60’s and 70’s Chrysler starters or a Moss box if you have a 3.8. Part of the character of the car for me. My '68 always fires right up unless the battery is low or a ZS carb float is sinking.

David
68 E-type FHC

After replacing the starter twice (long story) in the same day, I actually had it down to about 30 minutes…but it did have an access hole cut by a previous owner (63’ coupe). JS

Yeah, that’s what I’ve been thinking Joey. I’ll check to see who offers the best package/price.

Most know Im breaking in my 67 etype…I drove 5 days in 95 degrees heat .
What a relief when you park the car at a store, its VERY HOT , you get back in and hit the button.
BOOM its like lightning…
I understand original BUT, 55 year old windings and armertures…Im out, unless its a show car.
The power , the heat sink , Im not in the mood anymore…
Thats just me…

1 Like

I’ve owned my car since 1996 and during that time I never had any kind of starter problem. During my rebuild/refurb I got the starter checked and serviced. They installed new brushes, cleaned up the armature, checked its operation etc. The only part they couldn’t locate, and these guys made their living just working on electric motors, was the solenoid. So my exposure I suppose is what happens when/if the solenoid fails! Until then I’ll stay with the original unit because I simply don’t feel there’s a need to change.

I can relate to that, David. Also, the familiar whine of first gear (even in the all-synk box) is something I miss with the 5-speed.
LLoyd

Society has discovered discrimination as the great social weapon by which one may kill men without any bloodshed.
Hannah Arendt