So here’s a possible technique to drop the engine. What could possibly go wrong?

More $ than brains? …

I helped my uncle pull and replace the engine in his Anglia. We each shouldered an end of a 2x4, my aunt steered. It wasn’t easy, but it sure was fun.

1 Like

I pulled a DKW engine out of one of my cars, by hand.

As in, I lifted the engine out and onto the ground.

Gee, I wonder why my back is shot, and I have arthritis, shoulder to the end of my fingertips.

Good times!

:wink:

This was a common occurrence if you owned a Spitfire SCCA racer in the 70’s and 80’s and frequently at the racetrack with zero amenities like, light, heat, shelter, electricity, etc. However, it did require 2 people although I know of one racer who did it himself. Reinstallation was the reverse of removal. With, unfortunately, a bit of practice you could remove and replace in about 30 minutes.

Less common with MG midgets.

Here is why women live longer than men

1 Like

I’ve seen this one before. What are the odds this guy is still alive?

Sadly, painfully, I am all too aware of the syndrome…:expressionless:

Got to where I could swap out the practice engine, over to the high bucks race motor, in my girlfriend’s C4 Zink, in a little over an hour… with her helping.

I also did a swap on my 1200 Datsun, at the track: that one hurt.

Because…they are not married to women…(usually)

Hard to tell how wide the beam is. 1.5" would be pretty tipsy. 3.5", a bit less. My eye was drawn to the corners that have gas canisters as the base. They aren’t even flat on top.

I’m going to hope against hope that this entire mess was carefully built for the sole purpose of building and photographing the stupidest thing possible.

Erica. I admire your optimism and faith in the human race. Unfortunately the probability that someone clever and smart devised this contraption as a joke, seems less probably that someone not so clever, and not so smart, devised this as a way to drop an engine… I think this is where Occam’s razor might become useful: when presented with competing [hypotheses] that make the same predictions, one should select the solution with the fewest assumptions,

Ps. When I say “drop an engine”, I’m meaning in a car, not on the floor, although the latter seems highly probable

1 Like

I wonder it it isn’t photo shopped.

1 Like

That’s what I thought. The Washington Post has a weekly feature called " Second Glance" in which the author takes a photo and uses Photoshop (or some such software) to change 12 elements in the scene. The challenge is to find the changes. It’s impossible to tell that the altered image has, indeed, been altered.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/game-time-july-28-2019/2019/07/18/1c4c5482-9144-11e9-b570-6416efdc0803_graphic.html