So how much is too much?

Before putting this back together , what do you think of the bottom chain ? Too much slack , or ok ? I can get it a little tighter by adjusting the top one .

There ought not be that much slack.

Yeah, when I did mine with new chains the tensioner foot came out of its housing about 3 or 4 mm. You will have to fit that up and release the foot/spring with the provided Allen key. This presuming you managed to get a Renold tensioner. Others are similar, I expect. There is good adjustment on the guides, from memory. Paul.

Yeah , the tensioner is very slack and comes out easily . I read that some new chains have dividing links , for ease of installation I suppose . Although sprockets have to be removed to change the chains , so probably doesn’t matter .

Some tensioners have an orange plastic spacer - think the idea is to tension the guides up to that and then pull the spacer.
Those chains are called “master links” by some. I used them last time. Just have to make sure that the closed end on the link points in the direction of rotation.

1 Like

On further inspection, I see his engine’s an early one w/ no hydraulic tensioner, but has the spring steel tensioner.

That’s correct , can’t be sure if it’s ok , but I’m changing it along with the chains .

1 Like

A new chain should take up most of that slack.

Well, that’s better eyeballing than I managed!

Here is my 120 with a new chain.

BTW examine your tensioner beehive spring for end wear. Mine wore thin at one end and broke.

1 Like