So, I purchased a few junk cars and one of them is a manual transmission, XJ-S V12

Picked up a few junk cars, nothing special, but one of them is a manual transmission XJ-S. According to the paperwork it’s an '85. The floor pan has not been hacked up, and the console cover is indeed for a manual transmission. Clutch and brake pedals are triangular, and nothing appears to have been hacked or modified to create this.

The fellow’s widow that I purchased it from didn’t think it was anything special, and said her husband purchased used to drive it daily, until he decided to “restore” the car, and it never went back together. I have not had it up in the air to look at it, but it was clearly well loved once in it’s life. It has a full set of Borbet mesh wheels on it, vintage alarm, radar detector and jammer, and appears to have euro down pipes. I did not think Jaguar popped out any manual transmissioned V-12’s in the 1980’s, but maybe they did?
IMG_20171118_123915|666x500

Here is the shot showing the shifter…

neither did I

my XJ12 has a Supra 5 speed, and the clutch came out of a manual XJS, but they were 6cyl

those pedals dont look like factory (but I an unfamiliar with XJS)

That box looks like a laycock overdrive box so I would suspect it originated in a saloon. I have one of these in one of my series 1 xj12’s and have never had a problem with it although there was some thought that the overdrive would struggle to handle the v12.
The box factory fitted to the 12’s replaced the O/D with a rear extension and longer mainshaft.

Baxtor,

Thanks for the reply. How is the overdrive engaged on this transmission? I have not had an overwhelming desire to even get inside of this car, as the floor is literally covered in animal droppings. Any idea on the pedals?

OD is engaged with an electric switch

re the pedal…I am guessing, based on my experience converting a V12 auto XJ12 into manual

The pedal box has to be cobled together, either by modding the original, or obtaining a rare manual pedalbox

The Hydraulics will also show evidence of home fabbed mounts, and may not be Jag parts

I can attest a manual V12 is excellent to drive

As AWG stated it is engaged by switch normally located integral with gear knob feeding solonoid on side of overdrive unit via safety switch on top cover restricting engagement to top gear only.
I reworked my kickdown switch on throttle pedestal to give me a kickdown effect by disengaging O/D when full pedal was applied. Worked well and a pleasure to drive although they are not the fastest shifting gearbox around.

Baxtor, Thanks for the info. This car has a solid shift knob, no switch on the top of the knob as pictured… I guess I’m going to have to really have a good hard look at the transmission the next time I’m near the car.