So I want to try a 5 speed manual, but I don't want to spend $5-7000 on a kit. What are my options?

Alabbasi you’d be doing yourself a favor by adopting Norman’s “Lutz Mod” to the water passages of your V12

I’ll have to look this up. I’ve owned a few jaguars in the past (currently have 4) but I’m mostly a Mercedes Benz guy and need to spend some time learning them.

Nice, I also have a couple of 107’s and have a 560 5 speed conversion in the works.

Nice, I have a Euro 500SL, 280SL 5 speed and an inca red 450SLC 5.0 that’s in pieces right now. I’d be interested in how your 5 speed swap goes

Hi,

It just probably meant that they were not offered in the USA as nobody there wanted one, but in all European coutries they were offered, and not that uncommon. The Jaguar 4-speed with overdrive for Ser 1&2 and for Ser 3 4.2L EFI the Rover LT77 based 5-speed.

The XJS with 3.6L AJ6 has a different bellhousing and a 5-speed Getrag just like manual XJ40’s and X300’s. The V8 (AJV8) was never built as a manual. (For production, I remember Top Gear tested an XKR with a supercharged V8 and a 6-speed manual, but it never went into production, possibly because of the Aston DB7 Vantage.)

Any setup with a genuine XK bellhousing is pretty easy. A pedal box for three pedals is obviously needed as well. On the E-type even that is unnecessary as it’s the same box, all you need there is an extra pedal and to shorten the nylon bush in the box and change to a smaller pad on the brake pedal.

Cheers!

Thanks Pekka, that’s really interesting. I should have read up a bit more, obviously. There’s a few 5 speed conversions on early cars here, some Celica I think. The XJS 3.6 manual I drove was a factory 5 speed and I hear a much better drive than the V12 conversions but rowing a V12 manual on a country road sound delicious to me.

Hi - wondering if these two cars were a package from Toronto - Coupe has a 350 in it, owner has a history of electrifying jag sedans.

I’d love your 700R4 if you were in the UK ! Are they easy to find in the US? Here they’re very rare. I already have the John’s Cars conversion kit from when I had a Slll, foolishly sold the trans when the car rusted away (“nah, won’t ever have another”!).

Yep, it was used in light duty trucks in the 80’s and RWD cars (think camaro) before the 4L60E was introduced. It should be easy to source.