So just what is a User Card Badge

When I click on my avatar and go to the profile settings button on the far right (the cog) I see something called a User Card Badge. What the heck is that? I click on the edit pencil and find nothing to edit or select. What is this thing? Why is it there? How can it be used? When will we be visited by aliens? So many questions.

I refer you to this user guide in which I have already written:

User Card Badge:

• No idea what this is for.

I am no more intelligent now than I was when I composed that guide. If anything, the opposite is more likely to be the case.

OK, I’ll do your work for you. :sunglasses:

Just kidding of course.

I did get curious and found this.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/selecting-a-user-card-badge/22985

Looks like an admin would have to do something to activate this feature. How much value does it add to the site? I’ve no idea, but suspect probably not much.

Discourse has badges which indicate various things about the user. The built in ones are all assigned to a user based on their activity, so you “earn” the badge “Autobiographer” when you fill in your profile and select a profile picture, for example.

Although it is possible to create custom badges we haven’t really done that yet, as we aren’t really all that clear on how we would use them. Once we manage to integrate donations to JL into the site then a badge indicating that a user has donated would be a recognition of that.

Another possibility would be to create badges for particular user skills (E-Type SII Originality Expert, Electrical Expert, as two examples) but for the moment these would have to be manually assigned, which is a lot of bother (If there were a way for users to vote that a particular user should be awarded a badge that would be better).

I think the idea behind the user card badge is that a user can select a badge which they want displayed on their user card.

The list of badges is available at: https://forums.jag-lovers.com/badges

For the moment I’m concentrating on other stuff. (Like integrating donations via credit cards and PayPal into the site.)

made me think of this…