Solving the S2 tail light cludge

There have been many alterations trying to correct the cosmetic dissatisfaction of the S2 vs S1 tail lights. Some good. None as poetic as the S1. As a S2 owner, I’m always watching. Has anyone ever compared the shape of a MK2 assy to that of a E-booty to see how it compares?

Btw, this certainly looks like a fun car…

Ugly tail lights you can see, or pretty ones with firefly capabilities? Its a dilemna, Steve.
Once you start driving your car it fades in the reverie of gear changes and torque. And it’s pretty ugly under the tail lights. A lot of metal sculpting needed to fit pretty tail lights?

I might put LEDs in my ugly S2 taillights, If they’ll blink. And just drive it.

4 Likes

Yes
http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3359&start=160

page 9 post 171 still flat when installed but adds the chrome bling (yuck)

page 10 post 185 still flat with extra yuck

Or mine, curves with the body, shows curve of underbody, raises license plate, allows room for series one resonators, REVERSIBLE ! (with out body work or paint)

Or maybe you will spend four years experimenting (like I did) with different options and find something better. When/if you do, I will change mine to your discovery. I’m pulling for you to find the perfect fix!

1 Like

The Lights I used probably have the same area as the Lotus lights, just in a more rectangle shape. Still in the location of the original lights. And with LED bulbs, plenty bright.

Actually, the bottom of the boot flows nicely and is ecactly the same shape of the series 1. Trim the stainless panel even with the boot or remove it completely and it is rather pretty under the rear lights.

Why ruin the value of your car by altering the body work? Cost of altering the bodywork and repainting?

David, at least you are honest enough to admit the lights are ugly (as HELL, my words, not yours)The first step to fixing a problem is admitting there is a problem.

Steve, don’t fight the" FORCE" If you don’t like it, you can bolt the old crap back on in an hour or so…

1 Like

I have the pretty ones. Since my conversion to LED (in a separate thread) they are far from firefly, in fact, they are positively bright!

1 Like

John, please take your series one lights and go drive, and leave this ugly fight to the series 2 owners. :smile:

2 Likes

nice play on words there!

Thanks John, I left it at ugly this time because everybody gets their panties in a wad when I call them turds.

Well that’s a bit harsh Jeff.
We S2 guys will just have to find solace in our better brakes, *synchromesh * transmissions and improved cooling…and ugly ass visible lights.
Beauty’s only skin deep, yeah, yeah, yeah! :innocent:

1 Like

Yeah, most times the truth hurts.

I get all that too, plus non turd visible lights.

Any pix, from below the lights?

Click on picture to enlarge. Click on picture again for super close.

1 Like

But David, my 68 has Wilwood 4 pot vented discs, the all synchro trans, the improved cooling AND the pretty lights ( with bright LEDs :blush:)

1 Like

I think your mod for the rear of the S2 is great. Really. I’d do exactly the same if I had one. It transforms the rear from clunky to elegant. :+1::+1:

1 Like

So Jeff are your tail light Mk 2 lights?
What had to be done to fit them? They do look nice.

No one has ever said “I love your car, but those lights, oy!” to me. Maybe we S2 owners just have a dose of S1 envy, or we stare at our cars a bit to much. Personally, I was more focused on getting the “turd” out of the performance side.

Thank you very much Bob. I really don’t understand why series 2 owners fight so hard to express the love for the original lights. It’s not like I’m trying to sell the mod. I laid out a full page on the UK forum how to do it for a guy that wanted to do the change on his car. Makes no difference to me if they use it or not. But for them to say it doesn’t look better, well I haven’t had one person at car shows say the original rear was not just nasty. Gee, I wonder why so many people have tried a mod to the rear of the series 2? I think the header of this thread is “Solving the S2 tail light cludge” and I didn’t write it… Oh well, down off the stump now. But thanks again for being brave enough to go against the grain here.

I thought they were MGB lights? Did I think wrong?

Mk 1 MGB lights with the amber lense in the signal position. $150 for both new. I wonder what the Lotus light assemblies are new?

Thank you and the link to the UK forum where i explained in detail is in the fourth post from the top of this thread. Page 12 on the link.

Personally, I like the larger opening of the S2 mouth better than the S1. More Cobra-ish and we all know the S2 cools better. As you mentioned, better brakes, better shitfting gearbox, and much more comfortable seats than the early S1 cars.

David, that’s a bit harsh. (sorry,couldn’t help myself there)

I have the dual strommies with adjustable needles and 3:07:1 rear gear and find the performance quite nice. Not worth the money for me to switch to 3 SUs for just a little more than I already have. Any one here that wants to donate a set to me, I’ll be more than happy to install them though
I love all the E Types,1,2, and 3. I just think the factory dropped the ball (to save money and hurry production) on the S2 lights, that’s all.

Jeff, I really don’t understand why series 1 owners fight so hard to express their love for the original lights! :grinning: Or why an S2 owner would spend any time or money changing them. (Now watch, next year I will change mine!)

I have a series 1.25 and a series 2. They are slightly different but they are both great cars. And other than the fact I believe the S2 taillights to be safer, I never think of them.
Tom

1 Like