Some help gentlemen please

Getting into the interesting part now, with the rebuild having commenced. suspension is mainly done so have moved in to the wiring. Can someone help with the loom routing in the engine bay for a RHD FHC 120? I am converting from LHD so my photos of the strip down are not necessarily relevant. I am particularly looking for the routine f the looms that run down the front wings and across the bulkhead.
any assistance is appreciated.
Best regards
phil dobson

I held off responding, thinking that a RHD owner would respond. I’m thinking LHD and RHD wiring will be mostly the same, other than for the horn and turn signal control in the steering column, and the brake light switch.
The horn relay goes on the right where you should have two holes in the same position as on the left where the relay was located for LHD.
The wiring harness for horn and turn signals should be in omega clips along the top of the RH wing valence, symmetrical to the way it was as a LHD. That and the brake light switch wiring would continue across the heater box to the same connection points at the fuse box and regulator as on LHD.
So I think you could copy a late RHD OTS with turn signals.

Maybe relevant to question asked and Rob’s response.

I had a very good look at what was involved with XK140MC OTS regarding LHD to RHD conversion, and implications for wiring loom. In the end I happily purchased a LHD wiring loom complete from Rhode Island Wiring as they did not offer/would not supply a RHD wiring loom, but that was now of no concern as the LHD loom was near perfect for RHD also.

There was only two differences with LHD wiring loom and my RHD needs, and in both cases the LHD loom was supplied with two single wires exiting a main loom that were too long, so for RHD all I had to do was cut these two wires to length as required for RHD, and re-attach the two connectors as supplied by RI Wiring.

Now one of these two wires was the one feeding the Switch for the turn-signals as standard on all XK140, so that may end up being the single thing for an XK120 FHC that needs attention.

RHD XK120s never had factory fitted Turn-Signals, only late LHD XK120s exported to USA.
So if Phil intends faithfully converting his ex-LHD XK120 to authentic RHD specification, then he doesn’t need to worry about the turn-signal wiring at all. If he does want to add turn-signals, as many XK120 owners do (and in some jurisdictions such as South Australia are legally required to do), then that is straight forward.

But Phil’s original question regarding routing of the loom itself - I strongly suspect 100% the same LHD as it is RHD, so owners of LHD (or RHD) XK120 FHC can respond in detail.

PS. The other wire I needed to cut was to the foot-operated Dipper Switch, on the very left hand side in LHD thus a longer wire exiting the LHD loom, relative to the centrally mounted dipper-switch for a RHD car, with a shorter wire length needed exiting the identical placed loom. XK120 will be the same,

Roger

Thank you very much chaps. Your comments when looking at the new loom starts to make sense… One point i cant quite work out yet is associated with the wiring that on LHD cars runs across the heater box but does not appear to be there on RHD cars that I can see in various photos/books. i’m not sure if it is supposed to run inside the bulkhead then run along the right hand wing. (need to play around with the loom a bit more.)
As for the turn signals I will use the LHD Manette primarily as I think its looks perfect and I want that functionality… I really did agonise over converting to RHD (I did not change my 150 to RHD as it has some history Only FHC exported to Kuwait) but decided in the end that I want this car primarily for my pleasure and whilst I am used to driving cars non both sides of the road with steering wheels on both sides I am much more comfortable using a RHD car in the UK. Also I intend to keep this one so not overly worried about resale value.
Once again I really do appreciate you taking the time to help me. Any input from a RHD owner would also be much appreciated.
Having now got the car back home with body and chassis completed with the suspension installed I am getting excited and the prospect of having it on the road. I have targeted the big events planned for XK 70 next year which hopefully is achievable. The lead time for trimmers is circa 6 months so that takes a bit of planning. In closing the more I work on these cars the move I fall in love with them. Although the experience in dealing with suppliers is less pleasing these days.
With best regards, photos available for anyone who can use/wants them
Phil Dobson

As a manufacturer/supplier of wiring harnesses since 1977 when I organized a friend to tool up to make what where the best harnesses available at that time. In 1977 when I restored XK120 roadster 660224 an Autosparks harnesses consisted of a basic incomplete harness a stack of loose wire and several rolls of electrical tape!
We have supplied harnesses for genuine SS100’s several Alloy 120’s inc 660002 etc, genuine C types, a Lightweight E type plus the Beacham MKII’s etc etc etc I am a little familiar with these plus I have installed some 40 plus harnesses in XK’s as well. In fact I am fitting a harness to an XK120DHC my own car at present.
A RHD XK120 wiring harness is of course substantially different to a LHD harness ie horn relay on left for left and right for RHD etc.
Whilst I can just install a harness in a car without having to check books photos etc I did find these drawings on the net XK lovers that may be of use this is of course a LHD car.
I would also consult the book “XK120 explored” by Viart.
On a recent thread we discussed the manufacture of Omega clips something I have made in 5 different sizes correctly for some years with rubber sleeve as opposed to the manufactured supplied ones ex UK that use to be plastic dipped.
terry

1 Like

Thanks Terry I have the book by Viart but its not much use for RHD. I have also studied the Anatomy of the XK book and this does give a written description of the routing but its not that easy to interpret.

Glad to see those drawings again, Terry. As I recall the credit goes to Bruce Wright?
Roger, I read the XK120 SPC somewhat differently, as it appears to me that RHD cars only lacked turn signals for the Home Market, and RHD cars for other markets would have had them, beginning with OTS 661025 and FHC 669001. SB112 is relevant but inconclusive here, and as we have found many times, apply caution when using the SPC as an originality guide. The DHC supplement electrical section gives no indication that RHD cars lacked them, and lists part no. C.5274 as harness for RHD flashers.
The wiring diagrams W94641, W94601A and W94602 are somewhat vague on the subject and might lead one erroneously to suppose that LHD OTS never had them even through 1954, while all FHC had them. Remembering of course that these were intended for repairs, not originality guides.
You are quite right on the dip switch, I completely forgot about it.
Can anyone else confirm, did RHD DHCs have turn signals?

certainly RHD late cars delivered in Australia had turn signals and
I was looking for my notes as I am sure an english delivered car did as well cannot see them making different harness for UK car and fitting single filament globes

No, your right of course Rob.

1 Like

I can’t help answering the question, indeed will use this post to find my way back to this thread when I get to this point in a year or so, but will say I am drooling over the quality of your work. Nicely done, chap.

many thanks Nick. I really appreciate the compliment