Some people state that the X300 Jaguars are not "daily driver" automobiles. Why not?

Yes sorry
I was there with the guys at Ford!
They were so confident retro would not work
They sold 4 Lincoln’s and a million S types!

On Saturday I will be looking over a 2003 S-type 3.0 V6. It has 142k on the clock and is running strong. The man wants $3500.00 (USD) for the machine. I may offer him $3000.00 to see if he’ll take it.

The V6 is the most reliable and trouble-free of the S-type variants, though 2003 V8s should have all the reliability fixes already for the AJ-V8 engines.

Try pulling all the ECU codes in your inspection. Even though it runs well, some of the codes might be bargaining points (particularly P0171 and P0174 lean codes) which take some doing to track down.

Dave

The V6 is from the ford line of Duratech engines.

Some say they are junk, I say they are near indestructible. Put 460,000 kms on one and never had to replace one engine component , other than sparkplugs, and one rubber vacuum fitting.(lean code)

1 Like

I have a 02 sensor code showing on this vehicle. If I replace that I believe that I can obtain at least 28 miles per gallon, (using Premium fuel, of course).
I just installed a can of Berryman’s B60 “High mileage” fuel system cleaner into the gasoline tank. This should “smooth out” the idle and enhance engine reliability as well as performance. (I’m not a “hot rodder”).
I want to enjoy this car as long as I am able.

Are we back on the X330 or still talking about the ‘S’?

1 Like

I’m sorry, I was speaking of the S-type. I juet took a 110-mile trip in my newly acquired S-type. With the help of some Berryman’s B-60, I achieved an average of about 28 miles per US gallon on both Interstate 5 and 205 as well as other Oregon highways. She drives smoothly as well as developing power without a lot of coaxing.

Might pay to start a new thread if you are going to carry on commenting on the ‘S’

I have already commented over there.

Had a 2000 Taurus with that Duratec engine. After 200,000 miles, the list of parts replaced was limited to coil on plugs, spark plugs and a PCV valve.

Nothing else. Ever. That engine was awesome.

Yes, this V6 engine seems really good. I have run a good amount of Berryman’s chemicals through it. On the highway it seems to be exceeding 28 miles to the gallon.

I completely agree with Doug! I too have driven Jaguar cars daily since 1995.
Among them were some of the cars that blessed Jaguar with their reliability
issues. However the AJ16 powered X300 is virtually as reliable as many of the Asian
brands. My AJ16 powered cars are not only my daily cars, they’re also my extended
road trip cars as well. In my honest opinion as a guy that has spent his life travelling
professionally in cars ranging from GM’s cheapest econoboxes in the 60’s to full size
Lincolns w/460 engines the 96-97 Jaguar X300 AJ16 cars are every bit as fast, comfortable, reliable, stylish & economical as most anything else out there.

When someone says otherwise, ask them their personal experiences with the car that would justify that statement. I doubt they would have a problem citing specifics.

Earl Kiker

Correction to above reply.

In the final sentence I wrote " I doubt they would have a problem citing specifics."
It should read, " I’m certain the would have a problem citing specifics."

My apologies for the error.
Earl

FFR, Earl, posts can be edited after they’re posted. You may have to wait a few minutes after posting for the edit function to show up.

No it should be there immediately.