Someone is selling our information

For the first time last week, I am now getting all kinds of email ads. For over 20yrs I received nary a one until last week

I noticed you put your email address in the forum for Dave, having to do with the transmission mount.

Robots are scanning the internet constantly searching for email addresses. These forums are public, so these robots can easily find them. So you should never post your email address in a public forum.

1 Like

Never had that problem in the past and used to do it regularly.

I think if you really need to put an email address in a post you can add bogus characters? That would be apparent to the human, or you can add text that explains to the human what you have doneā€¦such as ignore 3rd and 6th letters

Then the Robots have found Jag Lovers! AHhhhhhHHhhā€¦

1 Like

I always wonder what the people who set up those robots are thinking. Do they consider themselves contributing members of society? Performing a valuable service?

I think they , along with all the other thugs in the world, probably consider themselves geniuses in their own right, even though the vast majority of them are half-witted buffoons!

Kirby,

These ā€˜botsā€™ are all about criminality: get access to your email address, change passwords, pump out propaganda. Itā€™s the way these things go.

Kirbert,

You would be surprised with the value of data of such. Harvested database is usually worth $1 per confirmed email address and loginā€¦

Google has some of the best botsā€¦how do you think you can find things so easily in google search?

No idea if they sell email addresses, or if hackers get ahold of google data.

Like all species, humans are opportunistic. Our superior ability at finding and exploiting advantage is what got us to the top of food chain

Of course, our exploits are not always perceived as ā€œcontributingā€ to society. In their infancy, even automobiles were viewed as a menace. How sad weā€™d all be if our beloved Jaguars had been seen that way.

For the record, Iā€™m with you though in hating spam.

Iā€™ll be buying an E type soonā€¦just got word, an African Prince needs to clear some money out of his home country, and heā€™ll give me $2.547 million for my help! See you XJ-S suckers later!!!

6 Likes

My penis will soon be 3" larger!

2 Likes

I think I can confidently answer that question;

The bottom line is they want to take your money, or sell your information, for money

Yes, but: These guys have the skills to set up these robots. I mean, I couldnā€™t do it. Surely a person with such skills could find honest work ā€“ if they were willing to actually do any honest work.

For the past few months Iā€™ve been considering changing species.
Iā€™m fed up with the human race.

3 Likes

And thatā€™s the problem. Generally they arenā€™t interested in doing honest work. Letā€™s face it, I work my job at the refractories plant to support my family and my way of life. If I could do something that brought in a residual income that allowed me to work at a grocery store stocking shelves and not tearing my body apart everyday I would. And if, in the same breath, the residual income stuff allowed me to ā€œjust live life doing things I loveā€ Iā€™d be tempted to not work for someone else all together. Most people would love to ā€œjust enjoy lifeā€. Unfortunately some make other peopleā€™s lives miserable to do it with no regards for the other people. Again, figuring they are smarter than everyone else.

The problem is honest work doesnā€™t present a challenge for these people, seeing how many people they can con on a daily basis does.

Its exactly what people used to do combing white pages and sending junk mail or sales calls. Gotta sell your products, and obviously it works or they wouldnā€™t waste the time.

But the scammers should be shot.

1 Like

Blind harvesting/robot harvesting of email data bases is a cousin to collecting data from a phone book which is the same as distributing to a large quantity of emails where no demographics are known. I see everyone is into robots getting email addresses. That is not true. What scammer/advertiser is going to go blind into using a large data file of of emails with unknown email owners. They have to have a value and that value is based on size and demographics of the data file. Most valuable is to know the age, the sex, the interest, the economic strata of the email owners, etc., etc.

No someone sold the data file for a profit/gain. And, Jag-Lovers was not hacked and the data and demographics stolen but someone who knew all the demographics of the email data file marketed it to the most interested party(s) for maximum gain. Whatā€™s a million emails worth that have unknown demographics, zero. They are not looking for needles in a haystack.