Someones creative solution to transmission bushing failure

In the process of removing the transmission pan so i cold change the filter and oil as well as inspect the inerds, I found the transmission rubber bushing was perished. I had attempted to push up on the transmission to check for play in the mount but there was no thumping. After putting a little light on the subject this is what I found.

The item in your second picture is the “Insulation Pad”, Jaguar part number BD 46958, installed at the Jaguar factory on the XJS and the XJ saloons (possibly other models) for sound and heat insulation purposes. When I removed and replaced transmissions in my Jaguar saloons I found the insulation pads to be badly damaged by age and fluids, much like how the one in your second picture looks. I replaced them with some generic foam cut to the same approximate shape that I purchased at a fabric store which seemed to be the same kind of material.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas

1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA

Paul,
Thank you. I don’t have that in the 1992 Facelift I also own. That is why I thought someone shoved it up there to quiet the noise caused by the bushing having disintegrated. I guess I should replace it then.
Thanks,
Jeff

I have hard copies of the Jaguar Parts Catalogues for all my Jaguars and finding out about parts like this is an easy task. I was surprised to hear that your 1992 Facelift car doesn’t have one. According to the Jaguar Heritage website, that insulation pad was used on the following models and VINs:

All Series III XJ6 and XJ12 Saloons
XJ6 (2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 4.0) from (V)500001 to (V)667828
XJS from (V)139052 to (V)179736
XJS from (V)179737 to (V)226645
XJ6 & XJ12 from (V)667829 to (V)708757 - Canada/USA

This part is not available through Jaguar, but there may be other suppliers that carry it. I made a couple of them out of foam that I got at a fabric store. They seem to be holding up.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1969 E-Type FHC
1957 MK VIII Saloon
Ramona, CA USA

Thanks Paul, I was just trying to find it on the Jaguar Heritage website without much luck…
What is it categorized under? I am having trouble finding it.
I am pretty sure I can get it at one of the local fabric stores in town and make my own.
Did you use 2" thickness?
Jeff

Jeff,

Here is the link to the Jaguar Classic Parts site: http://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk

Once there just put BD46958 into the parts search box and you will see the illustrations and listings. It looks like that part number was superseded by BEC21107 at some point but I have no idea what the difference might be. Both part numbers are shown as No Longer Available.

I don’t think I used 2" thickness, probably more like 3" or 4". At the times that I did this I had removed the engines and/or transmissions for work, found the tired insulation pads, put on new ones, and then reinstalled the engines/transmissions with the new pad on the tap. The reason I mention this is it was relatively easy to put the new pad on top of the transmission before raising it into place. So the thickness wasn’t of much concern because I knew that it would be compressed once the transmission was in place. I have no idea how to remove and replace this insulation pad with the engine and transmissions in place. I didn’t do it that way, and it may not be feasible to do.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1969 E-Type FHC
1957 MK VIII Saloon
Ramona, CA USA