Something different

I went to the Goodwood members meeting on Saturday here in the UK. Amongst the C types, Dtypes and etype I found this wonderful motor car. for me it was one of the nicest cars present. not unusually the owner was slightly eccentric explaining the restoration involved finding parts in Brazil!

![IMG_1558|690x459](upload://xp8dhbpZOR7xN9Arew74QcftKxt.jpeg

1 Like

Beautiful ! Never seen wheels like that. 6 cylinder Alfa, do you recall the model /year ?

Marco

Wow, that is quite something.

I think its a Alfa Romeo 6C 3000 PR Disco Volante (1952-53) Engine 3495cc S6

Interesting how there is a beautifully detailed engine compartment and such an unfinished looking header tank. I am sure that it must be correct though.

There were about a half dozen or more Disco Volantes at Pebble Beach Concours several years back. Some of them were truly spectacular cars, others just kinda weird.

Regards,
Ray L.

Disco Volante’s have the design fundamentals of the “E”, look at the notch for the license plant of the third photo:

Marco

Yes, it is !

I’m very envious…wish I could have been that close to it.

Marco

I’ve never seen that kind of spoke lacing, not just bead-laced, but actually outboard of the bead.

Interesting, but the E did it better.

Gorgeous machinery in those old Alfas! The name surely converts the style, perfectly.

One more thing chaps… there was a whole race dedicated to the mini. Why have some of the guys fitted twin Webber but only using 1 choke per carb? The photo isn’t that clear but zoom in and you should see it. I assume the regs don’t allow mods to the inlet manifold?`

1 Like

I was just stunned by it.

With best regards
Philip Dobson

Easy answer: using a Weber that way allows straight passages into the head, on a “stock” manifold, plus the advantages a Weber offers.

no Paul they are not using both chokes. only one from each carb

I am aware of that: I’ve modded Webers to do this.

so let me ask it another way… why not one webber using both chokes feeding the 4 cylinders?

Agreed…

Marco

Because you then end up with a curved inlet tract to both intake ports: given they were siamesed in the head, that usually meant 1-4 running a bit lean, and 2-3 running a bit rich.

Found that out on my autocross 1200 Datsun: even though it was an 8-port head, the use of a single Weber resulted in that odd burning issue.

Many thanks Paul. …

Guess there’s no single-choke sidedraft Weber?