Sorting out a saggy bottom - Driver’s seat bottom

The seat bottom in my S1 looks fine, but when you sit in it, you get the sensation you’re getting close to sitting on the floor.

Since the seat holds its shape well with no load on it, I’m thinking the rubber diaphragm may be the main contributor to my ‘saggy bottom syndrome’, with the foam playing a secondary role. I’m planning to replace the diaphragm, and see what difference that makes.

My question is, if a new diaphragm doesn’t do the trick, what are the chances of being able to cleanly remove the cover from the original foam, and get it fitting well onto a new foam?

Has anyone tried this, and found certain foam suppliers to be better than others?

I always feel sorry for someone who has a “saggy bottom”lol

The issue will be the pliability of the covering …
You may need to feed it to ensure it is totally pliable and doesn’t crack… your local trimmer would be able to assess it …
If the diaphragm is the issue ( they do perish and tear) then it’s something you can do yourself… I used the BAS ones with reinforced holes.
Cheers
Danny

1 Like

The problem I had with the replacement foam was that it was too firm - I needed some of that sag. The solution recommended by others was to use a hole saw add a lot more cores in the base:

If you are not reusing the foam base then it would seem likely you can separate the original cover from the old foam, clean up any remains and work from there. If contact cement was used a gentle application of heat may make the undoing easier.

That’s a good idea, I was concerned about that.

The first E-type I ever drove had brand new foams and diaphragms, and you say up on the seats like a ‘pea on a drum’…it was awful.

You can experiment by shoving different amounts or types or position of added foam under the diaphragm before you do anything else.

If the leather looks good and you don’t use the space under the seat for storing a front license plate you don’t want to fit to the bonnet, then experimenting with ‘sag tuning’ may be all you need and just leave it when it feels right. I need some sag in E-type seats and it saves actually dismantling anything. A small inner tube from a mower or kid’s bicycle might be an infinitely adjustable and progressive air spring - doesn’t get any better than that.

Shove a folded towel under the seat.

To replace the support from saggy springs you can peel off the cover and then insert a carpet type under the squab. Works a treat.

Dave

Tile…spell check

I can’t see any springs here.

As for ‘squab’ - it seems that refers to the seat back in vintage British cars, to the seat bottom in modern US vernacular.

As I’ve been led to believe: the back is the “squab” and the seat is the “cushion”.

Well, this ought to clear that up. :rofl: “English Exceptionalism anyone”? :laughing:

In general upholstery usage, the squab is the thickly padded cushion of a chair or sofa one sits upon, contacting the thighs and buttocks.

In North America and Europe, Squab in Vehicles is the lower seat portion.

The exception is England for automotive usage during the 1900s. In that context, squab refers to the backrest portion of the chair or side supports one may lean against. In England today, if the conversation is about antique cars or purchasing parts for them, squab refers to the backrest. If the conversation is about modern cars or their parts, squab refers to the seat bottom portion. If clarity is desired, the term squab is avoided.

Eg. archaic; for old Austin mini parts www.7ent.com uses squab for the back.

Eg. modern; Oxford Dictionary Online (ODO) uses squab for the seat bottom in three examples of modern usage.

Eg. Clarity; MINI Market-UK.com avoids any reference to a squab

Eg. Confusion; Oxford Dictionary Online gives the definition as the padded back of a vehicle seat, then gives three examples referring to the SEAT BOTTOM portion. An internal contradiction! Note: the three examples are recent sentences in the context of modern automoboiles.(sic)

Source: single word requests - A park seat or a car seat has two main parts. One part is the back. What is the name of the other part? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange.

1 Like

‘Yes’… repeat ‘no’.

2 Likes

Well, positively maybe and maybe not. :smiley:

It’s why I use the terms seat bottom and seat back.

S’all right: my wife calls them, “chairs.”

For some weird reason, that drives me a little nuts!

Joey calls the carpets “rugs”!

They would probably get along with each other like a house on fire!

Am I understanding correctly (from seat diagrams) that you have to remove the seat cover in order to replace the rubber diaphragm?

I’d so, then I like the idea of an inflatable bladder of some sort under there.

Not on a Series II. What year is your Series I. I suspect the later Series I seats are the same as the Series II regarding diaphragm installation.

It’s a ‘67, so I would suspect the seats are similar construction to early S2, but not sure.

The underside of a Series II seat with the original nasty foam. It’s not difficult at all to remove and replace the diaphragm while everything else is undisturbed.

I thought the 67s have essentially the same seats but sans the headrests.

That’s a very helpful pic, thank you.

1 Like