Sourcing a 2.88 diff

That is soo funny…
But, she is wrong…about GM independent suspension
Still it is soo funny

yeah it was really swing axels which at the time was touted as independent suspension, is that what you mean?

This whole story line is related to period Pontiac ads about the 326 Le Mans and IIRC included twin strips of tire black one of which went over a small log, brick or something.

It wasn’t about IRS, it was about positraction.

1 Like

Ya…sure…going to put together a hot rod or cobra…so lets source a rear suspension… like from a 60’s corvette (we want the best). I DON’T THINK SO, the best we in USA could do was a corvette (swing axle).
And “right over there” sat a Jag…

Kirkbert, you understandably became overcome by her beauty and manner of speech. Marissa also spoke of tilting axles and tire tracks.
One of Brooklyn’s best if you axe me.

1 Like

Here are couple of photos I took of Tempest when I was at the GM Heritage Center several years ago. One of the rear axle and one of the 4 cyl engine that was basically just a V-8 cut in half. For an American car in the early '60’s I think it is a little bit interesting.

Note you can actually see the ground when looking down in the engine bay.

I had one of those - a 1961. The gearbox was attached to the differential and the driveshaft had no u-joints and flexed (under stress - running through a shallow rectangular torque tube) to almost eliminate the drive line hump on the floor.

So some do not consider this swing axle set up an independent suspension?
Tom

1 Like

… especially in her yoot.

:wink:

Technically, swing axles are independent: over the years, the convention in Bug circles was not to call it such, but only the later CV jointed axles.

The Bug circles define independent suspension? Interesting.

Re-read: they didn’t define it, but in those circles, that’s a convention.

YSTMV.

(Your Suspension Terms May Vary)

:grimacing:

I believe the 300SL gull-wing Mercedes had swing axles, similar to early VWs and early Corvairs (the ones Nader didn’t like). It did result in some scary cornering if the rear wheel lifted!

It did, as did many other Mercs, up through the 60s.

And Triumph Herald/Spitfires.

1 Like

The really scary part was when the outer wheel tucked under.

A friend of mine who raced a Porsche 356 “bathtub” had this issue and found a fix for it. Basically, he connected a cable to the suspension on one side, over a couple of pulleys, and down to the other side. The outer wheel then couldn’t tuck under without lifting the inner wheel up in the air. By adjusting the cable a bit tighter, you could force the car to squat. Very successful, he went fast.

Of course, it’s a fundamental change to the function of the rear suspension. SCCA frowns on such things, so they banned that particular fix. So his next solution was to hide that cable within the roll bar.

And the JC Whitney “camber compensator” was born out of necessity.
Gees, I miss that catalogue.

1 Like

EMPI made a “camber compensator”, for Bugs: essentially a weak, single leaf spring that limited downward movement of the axles.

Formulas Vee had a mechanical limiter, and they run about 2-3 degrees of negative camber.

Little buggers are nearly as fast as a FF through corners!

… and Tatras…:grin: