Spaghetti system loose noodles?

hi friends, first off, thanks to you all who’ve been ably assisting me with advice in figuring out my '69 E’s various needs.

I’m looking at wiring. These two wires come up the front right side near the top suspension mount, then are attached to the upper right corner of the right radiator fan shroud. The leads then just float about 12" from the fan sheet metal. The ends were wrapped with electrical tape.

Can you identify where they should go to?

A second question is about the two electric motors for the radiator fans. Each has two terminals. the terminal on the right is labeled “1” and the other terminal has a slot in the cast plate behind it. So should both the #1 terminals be connected to the power source, and the slotted terminal be connected to earth? Thanks in advance again, for your able help here, E-family!

Add images

the headlights and signals are working properly. Where is the heat switch which activates these cooling fans, please?

Ok so first things first…… looks like po has done a quick fix…… those colours are for the fans.
Get yourself a test light and /or a multimeter and find out if the green wire is live…… the black/red wire should be grounded or be traced to the fan thermostat ……check for continuity………
Do you have a wiring diagram…… you will find it is very helpful in these situations.
Hope this starts your help session!

1 Like

Slotted Male connector on fan #2 is black wire.
Positive lead from the fan relay is black/ green, to #1

“Otter switch” is the thermo switch from front of rad. to cooling relay W1 terminal. Black/red wire.

The switch that operates the fans (known as the Otter switch, after the original manufacturer) is located in the top tank of the radiator on the front face, opposite where the top radiator hose attaches at the rear. Your car should have a fan relay mounted on the top of the “picture frame” cross member which is controlled by the Otter switch. The output of the relay controls the fans using Black/Green wires, with the second terminal on the fans being grounded using a Black wire. The Black/Red wire which is visible in your photo should connect the Otter switch to the W1 terminal of the relay. It looks like your fan control has been hacked up by a previous owner. I suggest that (a) you study a wiring diagram - lots available for free, including one of the Coolcat Express web site, and (b) once you understand it, return the system to stock operation - this may require you to test/replace the Relay and Otter Switch components. Continue to ask questions, and folks here will guide you through it.

Thank you very much David. I very much appreciate you taking time and the shot of the electrical schematic!

Here is a link to a color Series 2 wiring diagram in case it helps. I have the version for my car book-marked on my computer.

David
68 E-type FHC

That is helpful. Thanks very much David!

I’ll step in and offer an answer to the second question proffered, i.e. which terminal on the fan motor is ground and which is positive? It doesn’t matter as these are ‘shunt’ motors and the polarity does not matter - the motor will only spin one way no matter which way you connect it. So your preference.