Spare Tire/Wheel Pressure?

Well, I FINALLY found my copy of the Care Guide out of my owner’s manual set, lost since my apt. move six weeks ago. :relieved:

I was looking at the recommended tire inflation pressures in the Guide (which, btw, is 28 PSI in all four “for comfort” ride) and was shocked to read that the recommended pressure for the spare is 60 PSI.

WTH? :open_mouth:

Why 2x the normal amount of pressure in the spare, and can a tire be safely inflated to (and keep) pressure that high?

Space saver spare at that pressure.

So the '94s came with one of those “doughnut” spares as standard, with a full-size wheel as an option (mine has the full-size wheel)?

Yeah, space-saver spares typically run 60 psi. If your spare is a regular tire, don’t do that! Inflate to the pressure indicated on the sidewall.

And I don’t think much of the “comfort” spec. I owned a 4000-pound Oldsmobile thar recommended tire pressures of 23 psi. Nuts. Somewhere in your owner’s handbook it also recommends a higher tire pressure for high-speed driving; that’s the set of pressures I’d recommend for all driving. If you decide to mash the go pedal, you’re not likely to pull over and pump up the tires first.

1 Like