Spark Plug Choice

Been watching this thread. Time to throw out my two cents. I’ve been using Bosch Platinum Plus-3 plugs in my XK-150 for 10 years and still running on the original set. I do not like tuning variables (spark plug gap, points gap, fuel mixture, engine timing, valve gap). These plugs do not require gaping thus eliminating one variable. Pertronics electric points modue eliminates another.

for Pat…ok…note that when you change to the Pertronix…that changes the rest. I have used the Bosch plat…but the Ngk BP5ES is what I now use…religiously. For Rob…thorough as usual…I don’t know why Champion has Iridium and Plat at top of list…plenty of info out on how copper is best for older cars with older stock coils and distributors. Champion seems to have more narrow heat ranges per plug, thus more plug #s. As to resistors and resistance plug wires…careful…as many new plug wires are designed for VERY hi voltage output. If you don’t listen to the radio in your xk…don’t use resistance wiring unless very low. I did a check…some even low resistance wires will not light up a continuity test light…and will show thousands of ohms. I found a set of NO resistance plug wires…test light lights and 1 ohm over the entire normal length. I run a Lucas 40199E distributor slightly recurved in a rebuild, a new vac unit also slight change, regular points in the dizzy, the no resistance wires, and the ngkbp5ES…on no ethanol premium fuel with a little techron, a tiny bit of lead additive, a bit of Stabil…as I don’t consume a full tank in sometimes a month.( .but keeping a full tank makes less condensation) Zoom Zoom …starts first crank…runs well. Nick

You gotta drive that thang more!!!

you are right !! last drive was about 80 miles thru the NE Washington farm/forest…nice…but 3 weeks ago. It is not reliability that concerns me…it is those other drivers !! Sometimes we get caught up in all this maintenance stuff: : a production XK120 that already had 10,000 miles on it was taken to the track and ran 7 days, 7 nights at average over 100mph…no new plugs or points, no oil change…it went over 16,000 miles, and on tear down thenow 26,000 mile engine parts could pass a new build inspection…almost no wear !
Nick

When it stopped after the 7 days I wonder if it pissed out as much oil as mine does out the rear “seal”. Lol

1 Like

nowhere can I find any notes as to how much oil was added during the run…or how much fuel…would be interesting to know. Somewhere it may exist…and what diff ratio was, what rpm was maintained. Those ol Champion plugs seemed to work just fine…no iridium, no pertonix , mallory or 123 distributor, Notes did indicate that the little wear that was found…some slight pitting was likely due to some dirt getting in and no oil filter change…now that is something we can fix…it probably had the wire mesh air “cleaner” that did not clean.tho it was a FHC…so perhaps a little better? I have installed a strip of motorcycle air cleaner foam around the mesh…with light air filter tacky oil.
Nick