Spark plug evaluation have a look at this video

Looking for any input with regard to this video. Just hit 10K after a full rebuild and the plugs wee changed 1,00 miles ago. I get very poor gas mileage at about 12 MPG; could be my heavy right foot??? Number four looks a bit sooty and oiled up plugs should appear in sets of three based on carbby synchronization issues? I am running a Petronix dizzy and gaping the NGK BKR 6ES at .35. This plug has a smaller hex head and is cooler than the 5ES which was recommended by my mechanic for my “aggressive” driving style. I had an A/F mixture machine set the mixture around 14-1 around a year ago. I do smell fuel on hot days and on hard cornering. I have a fuel pump shut off switch which I activate when I smell fuel in case I feel that the float arm is sticking and this usually solves the fuel odors. Also a great way to empty the float bowls on shut down to avoid boiling and stumbling on restart. I run mid-grade without any knock or pinging issues. The car has incredible pickup, idle and cruising capacities. I also have a manual choke which I deactivate as soon as I am up to speed to avoid washing the cylinder wall. One thing I just fixed is that I am now running a t-stat which I was without for awhile after a coolant rail leak. Might be that the lack of temperature caused some build up. I have installed a 180 F should I go to a 195 model? I am NOT running a bellows t-stat as I have a plastic plug with a very small hole in it installed in the bypass hose which allows me to us USA style t-stats. Some say all but number 4 look a bit lean? I look forward to any and all comments.

Gerard
Loveland, Colorado USA

what is this engine and what carbs ??/

3.8 liter completely balanced and blueprinted 10K ago. I know they are the size just under the 2" models. I believe they would be the HD6 models with the AED which is on a manual switch for early shut off of the choke once I am at operating speeds.

I would guess weak needle with valve guide wear…

Fuel smell makes me think of wrong float levels, maybe a half sunk float?

BTW that green light inside the grille, pretty cool!

I am going to re check the floats as they are neoprene and might be a bit off on their setting, but not sunken. The Fog Rangers have Green LED “Halo’s” inside them with a white bulb and I can almost drive with just them on as they are so bright. The grill is a green flex strip LED wrapped around the inner brackets of the grill mounts. And to just make the purists quiver I have a multi pattern remote control light bar mounted at the base of the hood that is perfect for illuminating the engine bay at car shows with over 20 different light patterns.

Car is running great and staying at 70C so i think I need to bump the t-stat to 195 for a hotter burn?

Gerard