Spark plug wires/conduit

It’s easy to physical calculate actual rear axle ratio, but typically all 3.8 E types had a 3.31 rear axle ratio, with other ratios to special order.
With the introduction of the 4.2 E type, now with an all syncro first gear, so a useable gear, Jaguar now standardised on 3.07:1 rear axle ratio, with other ratios to special order.
I stand to be corrected as I just don’t see all that many USA spec cars, but I thought Jaguar only standardised the 3. 54:1 axle ratio on USA cars with detuned/less power on the introduction of USA Federal emissions compliant twin Stromberg equipped cars. This lower ratio compensated to some degree the loss of power and 0 to 60 mph times important to USA sales, albeit at the expense of highway cruising, high speed driving, and of course fuel consumption.
We get a lot of ex USA Series 1-1/2 and Series 2 in Australia these days, and invariably the first thing done is convert them to RHD, but closely followed by fitting triple HD8 SU carburetters, then invariably a rear axle ratio change to 3.07:1, which brings the somewhat emasculated USA spec E type back up to the preferred factory configuration as was standard on all RHD E types.

Thus my ongoing bemusement at people wasting money on five speed gearbox conversions, and then some trying to justify their expenditure based on a narrow appreciation of the technical facts and merits. For a road car, in my opinion, there is NO benefit at all in a five speed gearbox conversion for a 4.2 E type nor V12 E type. Those with a 3.8 E type may struggle with the original moss gearbox, so may want to upgrade to an all-syncro gearbox, whether four of five speed.
But that’s my opinion.
Roger

Hi Roger,
Jaguar Spares Bulletin G.12 dated September 1963 lists a 3.54 axle ratio for the USA, Canada and Newfoundland. Jaguar records are very complete and as a few cars received the received the new axle ratio before all did and their vin numbers are listed in the bulletin.
Bob
Plymouth, Mi.

Roger I think you posted the information about ratios in the wrong thread. Should probably be in this one: Will 5 Speed Conversion decrease value of car?

Sorry about Rear-Axle comments in wrong Topic - the joys of using a Tablet on the road!

Back to CONDUITS.
Just home late last night, and my two copies of HADDOCK/MUELLER book were waiting for me - GBP95 for book plus GBP10 postage from UK to Australia for each, so GBP20 total postage. We don’t get free postage offers, albeit USA supplier was happy to post for USD85 for a USD125 book.

But sad to say, adds nothing re this CONDUIT:-
The spark plug cable organizers on the early cars were comprised … and a rigid, dark-brown plastic sleeve. In later cars the wires were housed in a flexible, black plastic sheath … and a single narrow organiser was used.” No specific photos to illustrate, but a couple pages later shows photos of spark-plug caps on 885056, with a CONDUIT visible - looks black and bracket is missing.

As a mere kibitzer, I admit confusion. Ignition or differential ratio issues???

1, Ignition: Shrouds are an old issue in other critters. Best done without.

1. Differential ratios. Best matched as follows:

A. Engine torque curve.
B. Driving habits. Where on each scale ?

My Jeep is well matched. Max torue as to usual driving pattern.

Carl
vb

Jaguar service bulletins were dated about 2-3 months after changes occurred, in the cases I have seen. For instance, when the interior door trim changed on LHD FHC 889787 it was dated March 1964; however 889791 was built in mid-January 1964. In addition, this service bulletin is regarding cars built in error prior to its date, so really it’s just a strong indication of the oval caps being used until at least late 1963.

I can’t recall what caps were on my car when I got it, but I don’t recall ever seeing the oval Champion caps until fairly recently. Most likely my car had generic replacements; I would likely have remembered the oval caps. Whatever, I like the bow tie caps, and that’s what my car had from the factory! ; -)

Jerry

My UK new, RHD OTS - built June 1966 has OVAL type spark-plug caps - and still has its originals fitted today.
I obtained car in 1975 direct from original owner in Wales, with 18200 miles on it.

So I suspect there may have been some overlap with introduction of later style BOW-TIE caps, as I am aware of strong claims from owners of cars built pre my June 1966 OTS.

Roger

Service Bulletin P28 March 1964 refers to Home Market cars (destined to be sold in the UK) and the fitment of the optional 5K suppressors. These plug into the oval caps and were required by law in the UK to prevent interference to radio transmissions in our, even then, crowded little island. This was an error on the part of the Factory and was a service recall. They are listed in J30 June 1963 as part “C16979 Terminal for Sparking Plug Leads (Incorporating suppressor)” which would have been Champion WCX548. Also listed is “C17456 Terminal for Sparking Plugs - For Export Only” which would have been Champion WC548 - the X indicates ‘suppressor’. By the time the 4.2 was released all cars, regardless of destination, were fitted with C16979 integrated suppressor caps. Sometime after March 1964 Champion released their new WCX600 plug cap with the bow tie logo and integrated suppressor, as indicated by the ‘X’. So no option to remove suppression.

Some things to consider:

Owners who fitted radios would have installed suppressed plug caps to reduce interference either by installing the new WCX600 bow tie caps or adding the optional plug in suppressors to the WC548 ‘oval’ caps or by installing new WCX548 ‘oval’ caps with integrated suppressors, depending on what was available at the time:

The two versions of the ‘oval’ caps - WC548 and WCX548:

The WCX600 ‘bow tie’ caps with integrated suppression resistor:

Conversion kit of 5K resistors to suppress WC548:

There was huge suspicion amongst owners at the time that anything that “suppressed” the spark would reduce performance and they were being dictated to by the nanny state. As a result many people chucked the suppressed caps and went back to the un-suppressed versions in the misguided belief it would give them more power. This could have been done at the supplying dealer before the owner collected their new car even though it would generate interference to their radio reception and others around them. Conversely owners of Export cars would ask that suppressors be fitted (it only takes a few minutes to do) because they were a) more knowledgeable or b) valued listening to their radio whilst driving.

So in the absence of firm release dates for their various plug caps from Champion we have to rely on anything documented in period and that is P28. Observation and conjecture is perfectly acceptable of course but where dated evidence exists we should really consider that as holding court.

Regards

David

Except when there is documentary evidence that the dates on the bulletins do not correspond with the actual date of a change…

Jerry

Hi Jerry, No question about that but some are issued later then others. The spares bulletins concerning the deletion of the headlight covers, P.198 & Q.143, were not issued until January 1968. I just received the new Haddock-Mueller book, very nice!
Bob
Plymouth, Mi.

Its a fairly important thing to appreciate that with originality research that the thing that matters, is the exact Chassis Numbers (CAR No.) as quoted by the available factory technical/engineering documentation, as this is what the manufacture of the cars is based on. The dates shown on Service Bulletins and Spare Parts Bulletins are merely the date that the Bulletin was issued/printed advising detail drawn from the engineering/production records, and can be weeks or months later than the actual change as detailed in the Bulletin. But there is other factory information that advises the actual build-date of each car by its individual Car No, as can be accessed individually with a Jaguar Heritage Trust Certificate.
As advised in my earlier post, if knowing accurate dates of production changes is of interest, or matters to you, then FACTORY-ORIGINAL JAGUAR E-TYPE, by Anders Clausager, the then Chief Archivist of the Jaguar Heritage Trust, had full access to all the factory build and manufacturing records, thus this book uniquely gives actual dates for every recorded E-type production change, and not the simple and readily accessed approximate Bulletin publication date.
Clausager quotes production-change dates to MONTHLY accuracy only, which is in reality is realistically more than accurate enough, albeit could have quoted dates to DAILY accuracy, but quoting months does give a bit of a buffer where a particular change did not take place for FHC/OTS/2+2/RHD/LHD all on the same day, indeed where the introduction date spans two or three months he simply quotes all CAR Nos (six - for the six models), to be dated say Aug-Oct 1967.

Other authors - without this unfettered access to the factory records - usually simply quote the approximate Bulletin publication dates, or if they try and improve upon that, usually offer vague comments such as “About March 1962” or “About May 1963” or indeed don’t even try to offer a date, albeit still happy to quote an exact CAR No (if known).

If not known by the author, you usually just get comments/ photos of certain observed differences, without any effort to identify any CAR No or Date demarcation - I think this is a major deficiency in any book purporting to be an Originality Guide, but agree it takes a lot of work/effort to provide this, especially if no access to factory internal records, if indeed they exist (still).

But as above - its the CAR No accuracy that really matters most.
Re the deletion of the glass Headlamp Covers (referred to by most by the introduction feature of the non-official term Series 1-1/2):- as noted, Bulletins P.198 and Q.143 are both dated January 1968 when issued/printed.

Clausager advises OTS USA 1E14532 / FHC USA 1E34113 / 2+2 USA 1E77010 to be from January 1967, and indeed a friend who owns ex-USA delivered 1E77010 has a Heritage Certificate advising 10th January 1967 (as was 1E34113, albeit I don’t know exact date for 1E14532) - see pic of 1E77010:-

However the first RHD and non-USA market LHD cars (with open-headlamps), Clausager advises OTS RHD 1E1864 / OTS LHD 1E15889 / FHC RHD 1E21584 / FHC LHD 1E34550 / 2+2 RHD 1E50975 / 2+2 LHD 1E77645 and to be over the June-July 1967 two-months, so a two month spread of actual introduction dates for all six model variants (I can improve a little re actual date for each of the six variants, but little point).

Its pretty hard to dispute these nine Car No. introduction points (RHD, LHD and USA specification-market LHD) given Clausager thoroughly and specifically searched available factory manufacturing/ production records, and thus also his monthly accuracy dates - so shows just how unreliable quoting Bulletin publication dates can be - January 1968 is not even close.

Saay, I had not noticed that, but WRT the door trim change, where the bulletin is dated March 1964, Clausager gives the date as November 1963, which corresponds to the dates around which 889791’s build would place it. Very nice! I’ll be using Clausager from now on!

Jerry

:o

Hi Roger,

You seem to forget that I’m here too, or then I have not been dominating enough… :wink:

Cheers,

Pekka T. - 1S20183 with absolutely no modifications, mono radio etc.
Fin.

Good to hear Pekka.
My comments were of course an over-generalisation, albeit the sentiment remains. There are of course many E-type owners as disinterested in non-original modifications and the debate about fixing resultant problems as you and I am, but still, as I see it - the E-type forum is more into modification discussion and inventive fixes than is the XK forum.

As a rule in our local Jaguar Club, where I seem to be the expected source of fault diagnosis answers and fix solutions, I have now got to the stage:- If their car is original, then yes I will happily take them though fault diagnosis/rectification, but if their car is modified in their problematic or associated area I simply say return it to original condition, otherwise they are on your own, or go and seek help from whoever modified or sold them the non-original bits; albeit poor quality reproduction/replacement parts are also a regular contributor. But if they are having problems with their 5-speed gearbox conversions (common enough) then …

Roger

PS. Do you have original Jack/Wheel Changing equipment, or Literature Pack with your very early V12? Details direct please.

When I purchased my new 1966 S1 2+2 - off the dealers floor - it had oval caps installed. I had to replace them years ago with the “bow Ties”. Its build date was 7 Jul 1966, #1E76275. I’ve been searching sometime for the original OVAL’s but they are no longer available.
Ed

Hi Roger,

Yes, jack & tools, but no litterature pack.

It was a Belgian delivery, importers plate in engine bay, and with the jack & wheel changing equipment I thought it was odd the jack came with the disc wheel brace and also the brass adaptor and lead mallet for the three lobe earless spinners. Perhaps only because most continental European cars came with disc wheels (standard) and few importers and customers chose CWW’s unlike in the US of A.

Cheers,

Pekka T. - 1S20183
Fin.

Ed

The oval caps with ‘Champion’ embossed are available from Steadfast Cycles in the US for $8.75 each: http://tinyurl.com/oo7fcq5

Ignore the photo on their page which seems to show the caps as being gold and black - just poor photography. I bough six and they are perfect although you will need to put white paint on the ‘Champion’ lettering for the correct effect. I used white primer sprayed on a sheet of wood and then gently pressed the caps into the paint, like a printing kit. Worked perfectly.

Regards

David

David

Thanks much for the oval cap reference - I’m trying to reach them now, however, they seem to be gone for the Easter holiday. Were they available with the 5K resistors you pictured above or without and if the latter what did you use in their place, of course, there’s always the chance they are incorporated in the cap itself?

Regards,

Ed

Ed

They don’t have the 5k suppression resistors in them but providing you use ‘modern’ HT cables which are already suppressed there is no problem. You need to avoid copper cored cables and look for carbon core or similar suppressed cables, which most are. The Champion plug-in resistors were usually UK only anyway.

On my FHC I use the Speedy Cycle caps with current generation HT cables (no one would guess!) and there is no RF interference.

Regards

David

I was working on the engine and notice that the cables was an issue to work on.
Is there a reason for the conduit to use or not to worry about the heat on top of the engine with the bonnet down?
Frank.