Speed control vacuum pump

Here’s what I did to check the vacuum pump on a 1988 xj40 vdp. Facing the tab connectors, there’s 3 at 9:00 12:00, & 3:00 o’clock. Pull the electrical connector from the dump valve & the tube, & plug it (the dump valve is N.O.) Energize the valve w/ 12V to close it. I hooked a vacuum gauge via. a tee at the bellows & taped it to the windscreen so I could see it while driving .Now on the motor tabs. ground the one at 9 o’clock, & apply 12V to12 & 3 o’clock, that should run the motor & operate the control valve inside the motor. I was able to pull bout 20" of vac, & suck the bellows flat. I reassembled everything & was ready to go, then it would crank, but wouldn’t start. I was thinking I did or missed something, so checked everything over to no avail. The only thing different was, I used dielectric grease liberally on the dump valve connector & a group of 4 or 5 ground wires w/ a bolt to the body rite next to the dump valve.
Hope I remember all this rite
Wonderfull site
Cheers
Joebob

I’m very discouraged at this point w/ the no start prob. I’m disabled so I’m limited w/ what I can do myself. I can’t crawl underneath very easily so I avoid it. I would like to hook up a remote starter , but I can’t find the single white wire at the rear of the engine going down to the starter that was talked about. Can anyone tell me the hookup for a remote starter? I’m surely not looking forward to the long, long processes w/ the no start problem. Oh well, I did get to drive it a little.
Cheers
Joebob

that is an insulator not a conductor so clean it off and try again maybe?

Thanks Aber;
The container from GM says apply liberaly to wire connections, prevents corrosion, rust, ect, so I used it. I’ve always used it on connections before, never had a prob. I cleaned the dump valve connector, no joy. The only thing left is the 4 ground wires to the chassis that needs to be cleaned. I’ll have a look at the inertia switch too.
Joebob