Speed plaque mounting

There were three versions of the replica plate supplied to XK120s. The first was the 132.6 MPH “Exact Replica” plate which began with the Alloy cars and ended probably in 1952.

The second was the 132.6 MPH “Replica” plate which was used to the end of XK120 production.

The third was the 141.51 MPH “Replica” plate which began in the summer of 1953, but was only applied to SE cars. Non-SE cars continued to receive the second plate.

My guess is Mitch’s car may have been originally built and destined for one of the countries where the plate wouldn’t have been supplied. After it was built, the factory changed the original shipping destination and instead shipped it to the U.S.

Would those have been the non-English speaking countries?

According to Porter, these are the countries whose 8:1 compression cars got the Replica Plates: Belgium, Bolivia, Canada, Belgian Congo, Cuba, Hawaii, French Morocco, Norway, Panama, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Sweden, Switzerland, Uruguay, USA, Venezuela, and Dutch West Indies.

He provides no other detail about the country list.

Wow. I hadn’t thought of that. I wonder how much pull Hornberg Distributors had… or if the original buyer had canceled. If it had been originally made for a different location that might explain the white steering wheel - to go in a showroom someplace where a white steering wheel would have made an impression.

Hawaii, not a state til '59. Kinda cool to think of it as a country till then.

definitely 3 original plates. There are some replicas out there that are incorrect.
My belief is that all 8-1 compression cars got a plate ie very few cars to Australia got plates as almost cars were 7-1. I believe that after the 141 mph run all cars after this got the 141mph plate not that some had 132 and some had 141?

Hi, I don’t want to get in trouble by sending a commercial post but I couldn’t find a way to send a message directly to a forum member.

We have a small company in the UK making reproduction plates, stickers etc and I found this forum and these posts while researching the Jabbeke speed plates. We are considering having a small batch of these remanufactured but want to ensure that we get the design correct if we go ahead.

We have artwork for the 132.6 and 141.51 designs and were aiming to have it engraved on brass, with the lettering in black. I read on an earlier thread that the earlier ‘Exact replica’ plates were in copper so wanted to check that these two designs weren’t also on copper, and whether there is anything else we ned to know about them.

I would be grateful for any advice on this.
Suzie

Suzie if you email me at tmcgrath@bigpond.com I can supply high quality photos of these original Jabekke plates and many other Jaguar plates etc
regards terry 61 407797003

The 132.6 MPH “Replica” plate was copper, at least the original I have is …

This one, btw, is not correct for my ‘54 SE. Back when I first bought the car I was told the 141.51 MPH plate I had was from an XK140 and, not knowing any better, I traded it for this one.

Yes, yes. The nickel plated trim screws aren’t correct either … :sunglasses:

Two ‘b’s, one ‘k’ Terry.

29 characters…

Since we are (or were) talking about speed plaques … a subsidiary question.

Viart, in his excellent treatise, says there were three versions of the XK120 speed plaque. Top to bottom, the first version mounted to the earlier open cars (132.6 M.P.H., “EXACT REPLICA”, dated “30 May, 1949), the second version mounted till mid-1953 (132.6 M.P.H., “REPLICA”, also dated “30 May, 1949) and the third version mounted thereafter (141.51 M.P.H., “REPLICA”, no date, with Sir Williams signature shifted to the right).

This is the pic of mine, reposted from above

It seems to be a hybrid of the second and third versions - ie, 132.6 M.P.H, no date and signature shifted to the right.

So, a fourth version?

I was told by the (ostensibly knowledgeable) fellow from whom I acquired this plaque 30 years ago that it was correct for the early December, 1953 production date of my car rather than the 141.51 M.P.H. version.

Note also that the JCNA XK120 Judging guide notes only two versions of the plaque.

Was there a short transition period between Viart’s second and third versions during which this fourth version appeared?

Nick, Jaguar produced only three versions of the speed plaques. In your first photo showing the three plaques, the middle one is incorrectly reproduced. That one has carried-over the signature from the first Exact Replica plaque, which is done correctly. The middle plaque should be done exactly like the third plaque except for the listed speed.

The second 132.6 mph plaque replaced the Exact Replica 132.6 mph plaque sometime in 1952. The third 141.51 mph plaque was introduced in mid-1953 only for SE roadsters. The second 132.6 mph plaque continued to be supplied to non-SE roadsters until the end of XK120 production. For XK140 roadster production, only the third 142.51 mph plaque was supplied.

Since your car is an SE from December 1953, it would have been originally supplied with the 141.51 mph plaque.

Edit: In addition, the second 132.6 mph plaque should not include the May 1949 date.

Thanks, Mike. So another anomaly in the book.